Ball

A certain tension falls over the car as we pull into the dark road behind the large venue, a siffocating mixture of lust and uneasiness taking control of the atmosphere, thick between us.

The driver swiftly steps out of the car to open the door for me, but I beat him to it, swinging the heavy metal open and letting the cool autumn breeze whip around the car and in my hair. I enter through the back door, leaving to the area behind the staircase that decends into the ball room.

Luca and I separate ways, as he slyly enters the ballroom already full of guests, remaining anonymous. No one other than the Vipers could know he is in America, let alone in this ballroom. The problem with these egotistical gangs is that once they get their hands on important information, they never want to share. Therefore, Luca's prescence remains a secret.

I make my way down the tacky hallway, the blindingly bright red carpet with gold trim obnoxiously fluorescent against my heels. I walk up a set of equally poorly designed steps, before reaching my family in front of the staircase entrance.

My father is barely dressed up, sporting a silk black suit and some fangs that are much too large for his mouth.

Even from up here, I can hear the loud bustling from the large crowd. All high-ranking mafias in America come to attend, allowing me to be shown as the mysterious King daughter, due to the fact that they all know what I look like already. Although I was able to stray from the paparazzi, thank God.

Rumors may get around, many of which are in fact true. Except the one that I eat babies to make myself stronger. I'm not sure where that one came from but I'm 99.9% sure it was Blake's doing.

People remain curious as to who I am, but I can never be shown like that.

He could find me.

"Ready to go?" My father's booming voice sounds from next to me. I look to my right and up a little, giving him a curt nod before he motions for Blake to join us.

Blake and I stand on either side of my father as we prepare ourselves to exit onto the staircase. My dad places his hands on our backs, motioning for us to follow him down.

We obey, but I almost cringe at the fact that I'm dramatically walking down a staircase like in one of those stereotypical galas. All we're missing is trumpets and an announcer.

People seem to be made very aware of our descending prescence, as all of their eyes land on us, and more specifically me.

I hold my chin up high and keep my face stoic as I carefully strut down the stairs, searching for someone's gray eyes in particular. When I meet them, they're already boring into me intensely, raking my body once more.

I feel my body ignite and feel a flush make its way to the surface of my skin. He looks back up and gives me a short nod, a gesture speaking so many words.

I pull my gaze from his eyes and scan the crowd, feeling all eyes on me. Finally reaching the bottom of the never-ending abyss that is that staircase, the three of us break away from each other, as I make my way to the bar.

Clementine texted me saying she would be a little late, which is kind of odd because she's always loved these things. She might just be sick though.

I make my way to the dark wood counter, knocking on it lightly to gain the attention of the bartender. He jumps slightly and his flustered expression quickly becomes one of terror when he sets his eyes on me.