Benjamin

The car comes to a halt, awkwardly so considering he had just begun to drive.

"The fuck did you just say?" Luca looks like he's completely starstruck, looking at me like I've grown a second head.

I open my mouth to speak, but then close it again, trying to figure how to put this. "He has this thing where he thinks he's entitled to the King throne because my grandfather gave it to my father instead of him, and he thinks the solution to all of his issues is marrying me to his son." I explain it, although everything comes out as a question seeing as it continues to make no sense to me. "He's a joke from the family, he just doesn't know it. One time we didn't invite him to Christmas, despite Aunt Mary's wishes, and he showed up on Thanksgiving genuinely thinking it was Christmas and that time had frozen."

Then a true, loud laugh is heard from my left, causing me to snap my head in its direction. What I'm met with is the image of Luca's head thrown back against the seat, and the most amazing sound of laughter filling the air.

Before I know it, I have my own sloppy grin as I gaze at him, snatching the snack bag from his lap in mock-anger. "You're fucking with me." He shakes his head, taking a breath in between his non-stop practical cackling.

"I'm not!" I exclaim, grabbing the Twix bar and peeling the packaging, shaking my own head yet with a small smile. I can tell he still doesn't believe me, because something tells me this would not be his initial reaction if he did.

The car revs up while I take my first bite, fucking gorgeous and stunning and amazing and impeccable per usual.

"And the cousin?" He adds, and I notice a certain edge to his voice, maybe beginning to recognize this as a true possibility.

I swallow the bite quickly. "Oh, there's two. Carl is asexual and aromantic. No interest." I mention, smiling to myself at the mention of Carl. Always so wild. Then it changes to one of disgust. "Then there's Benjamin. He's...odd." I use the nicest word I know because Benjamin is just plain repulsive.

His eyes narrow at the words as he gazes at me, despite the fact that he is driving. "You're actually serious?" His voice is now plain anger and surprise, I give a small nod in response. "Has he tried anything?" He questions, and I notice his grip on the steering wheel tighten while he returns his attention back to the road ahead of us.

"Yeah," I admit. "but I've obviously never reciprocated it." I say, but instead of the understanding I was expected, I recieve a huff.

"Do you think he's a threat?"

"What?" How would that even work? He's my family, he's just weird." I state, although now that he mentions it...

"You never know." He shrugs, as if it's the most plausible assumption on planet Earth.

"I think you're hangry." I roll my eyes yet again, taking the second bar from the Twix pack and crumpling the empty package back into the bag. I pick out a Mars bar and hold it open in my palm for him, munching on the Twix with my free hand.

"Are you being playful with me right now?" He raises a brow at me, accompanied by his signature smirk.

We reach the last red light right before I throw the Mars bar into his lap, "No." I declare, although I was, without even knowing it. With him it just feels...natural.

"Mhm." He knowingly hums, with that same goddamn smirk.

I munch unhappily on my bar, chewing for far too long for it to be normal, and do this throughout the rest of the way home. Luca pulls onto the uneven gravel in front of the modern mansion, it bounces the car around a bit and causing me to miss my last bite by a fraction. Thankfully, it still ends up in my mouth.