Meeting in Person

You walk into your favorite arcade and buy some tokens. You had some bad luck on the racing games last time you were here, and you’re determined to dominate today.

The only person by the racing games is a guy in a red jacket, with spiky brown hair that sticks out in all directions. It’s kind of cute…in a ‘punk’ sort of way. He’s currently running a motorcycle race against three computerized opponents and winning.

“That is the weirdest hair I’ve ever seen,” you say, making him jump. On the screen, his motorcycle spins out of control and crashes.

“Hey!” the guy turns around. “I work hard to make it look like this!”

You smirk at him. “Why don’t you just roll out of bed? It’ll save you a lot of trouble, and it looks exactly the same.”

The guy rolls his eyes at you. “You sound like my online pen pal.”

“You sound like my online pen pal,” you shoot back.

The guy sticks his hand out. “Kai, a.k.a. HotHead.”

You shake his hand. “Y/n, a.k.a. y/u.”

Kai looks at you. “You’re taller than I imagined.”

“And you’ve got weirder hair,” you retort.

An hour later, you and Kai have played most of the games in the arcade. Kai can beat you at racing games, but you win the Dance-o-Tron by a landslide.

“What…was…that?” Kai gasps for breath as you outscore him again.

“Dancing,” you tell him. “You should try it some time.”

“That’s…not…dancing,” Kai gasps. “I…can dance…I was in…the Ninjago Talent Show…”

“Obviously not as a dancer,” you say cheerfully.

Time flies by, and pretty soon the arcade is closing for the night. You and Kai trade insults all the way out to the bus stop.

“Hey…” you finally say. You stop and look directly into Kai’s hazel eyes.

“Yeah?” Kai asks.

“I had fun.”

“Yeah!” Kai jumps up and down and pumps his fist. Then he realizes that you’re still there. “Um…can we pretend you didn’t see that?”

You laugh. “Sure, Hothead. But you still have weird hair.”

“Oh, man! There’s my bus!” Kai turns and runs toward a bus that just pulled up to the curb. “Bye, y/n!”

You sit down on a bench to wait for your bus. You hear something crinkle and pull a piece of paper out of your pocket.

Not telling you how I got this in your pocket, y/n! Ha! By the way, here’s my phone number: 555-4861. –Kai

P.S. My hair is not weird!