He Comforts You

You're tossing and turning in bed, trying to get to sleep. Seeing your dad has raised a lot of questions for you. When you think about how your parents acted—always fighting and eventually getting divorced—you have to wonder: can you and Kai really stick together?

Someone knocks on the door, interrupting your thoughts. "What?" you call.

"Can I come in?" Kai's voice asks.

"Um...yeah, sure," you call back.

The door opens, and Kai walks in. "Are you okay?" he asks.

"I'm fine," you insist. "Just thinking."

Kai sits down on the edge of your bed. "Come on, y/n, I know you too well for that. What's wrong?"

You stare at your sheets. "Well...what if we end up like my parents? You saw how they turned out."

"What do you mean?" Kai asks.

"I guess what I'm trying to say is, is it even possible to stay in love with someone for your entire life?"

Kai sits on the edge of your bed. "Y/n, I get where you're coming from, but not every family is like that."

"How do you know?"

"Well...take a look at my parents. I didn't know my mom very well—she died when Nya was born. But I know my dad really loved her. He used to talk about her all the time, and I'm pretty sure she loved him just as much."

"Yeah, but, well..."

Kai grabs your hand. "Y/n. I swear I will never abandon you. I don't know the future, but I do know that I love you more than I've ever loved anyone else. I'll always stay by your side, I promise."

"Thanks, Kai," you say with a smile. "That means a lot to me."

"Well, being totally hot is only one of the reasons I'm your boyfriend," Kai jokes, flexing his muscles.

"Really? I thought Cole was the totally hot one," you say. When Kai pouts, you elbow him gently. "I'm kidding. I don't ever want to lose you, either. Or your weird hair."

Kai pouts at you again, which only makes you laugh. "Lighten up, hothead!"

"I have a question," Kai says after a minute. "Why does b/f/n hate me so much?"

"Well, we did kind of have a huge fight and break up the first time you met," you remind him.

Kai sighs. "Don't remind me. But that was almost a year ago now. She can't still hate me now, can she?"

"She can be really stubborn when she wants to be," you sigh. "She once told me that she wouldn't be nice to you until the day Lloyd asked her to be his girlfriend."

Kai jumps. "She said that?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Nothing. It's just an idea. I'll tell you later."

You snort. "Silly Kai." You rest your head on Kai's shoulder, and feel him still holding your hand. His presence is comforting, and within a few minutes, you're fast asleep.