He Realizes You're Gone

Kai's POV

I've had this nagging feeling all evening that something's happened to y/n. She said she was going to come sleep over for my birthday, and she should have been here hours ago. I'm worried, but every time I bring it up, Cole tells me that something probably came up and she's staying home with b/f/n. I want to believe him, but y/n would have called me if something like that happened, and I can't shake the feeling that something's wrong.

Finally, I can't take it anymore and call b/f/n. "Hello?"

"Hey, Lloyd."

Wait, when did Lloyd start calling b/f/n? Whatever. I'll ask later. "No, this is Kai."

"Oh." I can hear her getting annoyed. "What do you want?" I know b/f/n doesn't like me very much. I'd better ask fast.

"B/f/n, is y/n staying with you tonight?"

"No. isn't she at the monastery yet? She left hours ago."

Now I'm really worried. "No. I assumed she was staying with you."

"She's definitely staying with you."

"I'm going to call her," I tell b/f/n. "I'll be right back."

I'm so nervous, it takes me two tries to call y/n's phone. It rings...and rings...and finally goes to voicemail. That's when things get really scary.

Instead of y/n's usual chirpy voicemail, a voice says, "If you ever want to see y/n again, you'll pay five million dollars. You will receive a phone call in forty-eight hours with instruction on how to deliver the ransom. If you value her life, don't call the police."

The phone beeps to show that it's recording a message. "You sick, evil #&%@$!" I yell. "Give y/n back right now, or so help me, I'll—I'll tear you apart, you hear me?" The only response is a click from the other end.

I stare at the phone in my hand for a second, then call b/f/n. "Call y/n's phone right now!"

"Why?"

"Just do it!"

I hang up and wait. B/f/n calls me back less than a minute later. "I can't reach y/n's phone!"

"But I just called it a minute ago!" I protest. "It was fine then!"

"Well, someone must have turned it off! What's going on, Kai?"

That's when it really hits me. I sit down on my bed and feel tears stinging my eyes.

"Well?" b/f/n demands.

I can barely choke out the words. "Y/n's been kidnapped."

"WHAT?!" b/f/n shrieks. "How do you know?"

"When I called y/n's phone, her voicemail was a ransom demand for five million dollars." My voice is surprisingly steady. I can feel my hands shaking. I sound a lot calmer than I feel.

B/f/n uses a few words I've never heard before. "What are we gonna do, Kai?"

"Start following the route y/n would have taken. Bring a friend with you in case whoever took her is still hanging around. I'll work from the other end and meet you in the middle."

"Okay." B/f/n hangs up. I stand up and wipe the tears out of my eyes. I have to keep moving. If I start crying now, I might never stop.

There's one thing I can't tell b/f/n. I recognized who recorded the voicemail.

It's y/n's father.