Planning the Wedding

"I take back being excited about being the maid of honor," b/f/n grumbles.

You put your head on the catalogue of wedding cake options you're supposed to be looking through. "Planning a wedding is hard. I knew we should have eloped."

That earns you a swat from b/f/n. You groan, but make no move to get up. If you have to look at one more overly flowery cake design, you're pretty sure you're going to scream. Nya, who's in charge of planning the bridal shower, doesn't look much better, and her job is a lot easier than yours.

"How's it going?" Kai asks, looking far too cheerful for your current mood. You jump in your seat—you didn't hear him come in.

B/f/n shoots him a tired look while absentmindedly twirling the ring you gave her on her finger. "If you're not doing anything, maybe you can help y/n pick out a cake?"

Kai grins. "Look no further! I'll be happy to help you pick out a cake, y/n."

Nya rubs her forehead in a way that suggests she's getting a headache. "Uh-oh."

Cole's voice echoes faintly down the hall. "Did someone say cake?"

"NO!" the four of you yell. Cole groans.

Kai pulls the cake catalogue out from under your head and flips through it. "Boring...bleh...who puts that many flowers on one cake? Ew, no. Whoa! Cool! You can put pictures on cakes?"

Forget that part about screaming. You sit up and peer over Kai's shoulder to see what he's talking about. He points to a photo of a cake with a picture of a smiling couple printed...or something...on the frosting.

"Okay, that's pretty cool," you concede. You can totally see a cake with that one picture from when you and Kai went to prom on it...

Kai grins. "Can you imagine how cool it would look if we did one with me doing my awesome ninja moves?" He strikes a pose for effect.

Never mind. Having a picture on the cake is a bad idea. On the other side of the table, Nya and b/f/n both facepalm.

You suppress a snort and shake your head. "We can't put a picture of you on the cake, Kai."

"Why not? I'm awesome!"

You give him a look. "Do it at your bachelor party, then."

"Can we at least make it red?"

Kai has clearly never been to a wedding before. It looks like you, Nya, and b/f/n will be the only ones driving this train wreck of a wedding.

"Compromise. White with red flowers."

"Red and f/c flowers!" Kai corrects hotly.

Note to self: never let Kai negotiate. Ever.

"Deal."