While You're There

General Kozu glares at you. "Where are the ninja hiding? What is their location?"

"Like I'd tell you," you snap.

His hand cracks across your face. You accidentally bite down on your tongue and taste blood.

Your dad stands up. "Our deal was that she wouldn't be harmed!"

"Nice job, dad," you say sarcastically.

You're interrupted by the sound of a cell phone ringing. Yours. Your dad pulls it out of his pocket. Finally, the ringing stops and your phone goes to voicemail. Except it's not your voicemail.

"If you ever want to see y/n again, you'll pay five million dollars," your dad's voice announces. "You will receive a phone call in forty-eight hours with instruction on how to deliver the ransom. If you value her life, don't call the police."

The message tone beeps, and Kai's voice comes through the phone. "You sick, evil #&%@$! Give y/n back right now, or so help me, I'll—I'll tear you apart, you hear me?"

Your dad turns your phone off and puts it back in his pocket.

You grin at your dad and General Kozu. "You're in trouble now. Kai's gonna—"

"Silence!" General Kozu roars. "I want answers! Where are the ninja located?"

You glare at him and say nothing. General Kozu glares right back, but you don't budge. Finally, he growls angrily and stomps out of the room.

Your dad shifts uncomfortably. "Y/n—"

"I don't want to hear it."

Your dad pulls his chair up in front of you and sits down again. "Well, you're going to hear it, whether you like it or not. I'll admit, this is drastic, but if you just cooperate and sit tight, in two days I'll have enough money to get us both far away from here and keep us comfortable for the rest of our lives."

You glare at your dad. "I think you're forgetting two things."

"All right, enlighten me," your dad says.

"First, I have no intention of cooperating with you or that walking rock. Second, even if you somehow torture the information you want out of me, Kai's gonna find you, and he's gonna make you wish you'd never been born."

Your dad leans back in his chair. "How can you be so sure? He can't have given you a tracking device, or he would have used it already. And this whole building is filled with stone warriors. Even if he does find you, he'd never make it out alive." 

"Who said I need Kai's help to get out ofhere?" you ask.