Phase Two

You lead b/f/n into a local café and sit down in a booth. With luck, Kai and Lloyd should be arriving in a few minutes. You make sure to position yourself where you can see the entrance, and make small talk with b/f/n while checking your watch and mentally reviewing the plan every chance you get.

A few minutes later, Jay, Zane, and Cole walk in wearing disguises. Bad disguises. Fortunately, B/f/n doesn't seem to notice as they sit in the booth next to yours. For probably the first time in your life, you thank your lucky stars that it takes her forever to decide on what she wants when you eat in a restaurant.

While b/f/n is preoccupied with the menu, you whip out your phone under the table and text the other three.

Heartthrob (you): What the heck, guys? I said be subtle! This is not subtle!

Agent Zing: Oh, come on! I never get to wear these sunglasses!

Ice Cream: Logically, dark sunglasses with large purple frames will attract attention, Jay, particularly indoors.

Agent Zing: Well, what do you want me to do about it?

Fruitcake: Take them off!

Heartthrob: Take them off!

Ice Cream: Please remove them. Now.

Agent Zing: Oh fine! You guys are no fun!

You look up in time to see Jay taking his ridiculous sunglasses off. Fortunately, b/f/n is still focused in the menu. Satisfied that she hasn't seen anything, you look back down at your phone.

Fruitcake: Sooner or later, we're gonna be recognized. Kai, what's your ETA?

Hedgehog: Lover Boy and I will be there in five minutes. Say hi to y/n for me.

Heartthrob: Love you too, Kai.

Agent Zing: Man, I wish Nya was in this group chat. It would make it a lot easier to pass the time.

Fruitcake: No.

Heartthrob: No.

Ice Cream: No.

Hedgehog: NO.

Agent Zing: Why not?

Fruitcake: We don't need all that mushiness clogging up our mission. Do that in your own chat if you're so bored.

Agent Zing: How come y/n and Kai get to chat?

Ice Cream: Because they are not easily distracted.

Hedgehog: We'll be there in thirty seconds. Y/n, you're up.

Heartthrob: Got it. See you soon. ♥

"I need to go to the bathroom, b/f/n," you say, sliding your phone into your pocket. "I'll be right back."

"Hmm?" b/f/n asks. She's still absorbed in the menu. "Oh, okay, go ahead."

As you walk around the corner where the bathrooms are, you see Lloyd step into the café, followed by Kai. Just like the plan, Kai makes an excuse about needing to use the bathroom and then casually points b/f/n out to Lloyd.

You high five Kai as he ducks around the corner. Cole, Jay, and Zane will eavesdrop on b/f/n and Lloyd and text you about what's happening.

"That actually went really well," you say.

"Of course it did," Kai replies smugly. "I am a genius, after all."

You gently punch his shoulder. "Keep dreaming."