Someone to Stay

A/n this song was my inspiration for this book's title. It fits so well. I encourage you to listen to it. It is a beautiful song. This usually isn't my favorite genre of music but I loved it.

I finally wake up. My neck aches in pain, due to the hard ground. My friends remain asleep. Curled up trying to find a good sleeping position. My right arm is held by Newt. He always held onto me while he slept, and i always struggled to escape his grasp when I had duties to get to back in the glade. Newt was a light sleeper, but thankfully, I was about to remove my arm from his this time.

To my surprise the suns not up yet. Its light outside though and I can't seem to fall back asleep so I walk out of our little 'shelter.'

I look out and see nothing but ruins in a desert. This was it? This was the real world? I hate to admit it, but even the glade was better. There were no cranks, we had food, supplies, an actual shelter, bathrooms. None of this was what I had in mind when in the glade, and I found myself missing the prison I lived in.

I sat down, staring out at nothing. Emptiness filled me. All hope I had was slowly draining out of me. At this moment I felt alone. I was scared, terrified. I let the tears come out and I sobbed quietly, missing the place I had and the people who lived within the walls.

Newt's POV:

Tommy accidentally woke me up as he was attempting to scare off some birds. I rub the sand off my face and look beside me. I realize YN is not laying there anymore.

Where had she gone? I thought to myself. I sat up and made my way to where Thomas was sitting.

"Hey Tommy," I greet the brunette boy as he searches for something in his backpack.

"Sorry Newt. Did I wake you up?" Thomas apologizes, finally meeting my eyes.

I shake my head. "No it's fine. Couldn't get any bloody sleep either way." I pause and Thomas nods. "Have you seen YN?" I ask quietly, making sure I don't wake up the rest of our friends.

Thomas gestures his head to outside. I mutter a quiet thanks before heading out in search of the h/c haired girl.

Sure enough YN is sitting outside, alone left out in the cold. Her back is to me. Her figure looks small and tired. I silently make my way towards her lonely self and I sit by her. YN's face is hidden in her h/c hair, but I can hear a silent cry from her.

"Love what's wrong?" Worry fills my voice as I try and look at her beautiful face. She pushes back her hair and turns away from me as if she was embarrassed that I had caught her like this.

"Nothing," she replies, sniffing. YN refuses to look at me as she pulls her hair into a messy ponytail to avoid having it in her way.

"Please tell me," I lean over trying to find her eyes. YN finally turns. She wipes a tear from her face. "You can talk to me, love, you know that right?"

YN gives in and finally looks at me. Her usually soft e/c eyes now have the whites tinted a light pink color, informing me that she's been crying for a while. "We lost another friend," she sobs, referring to the quiet boy named Jack.

I've seen YN cry for almost all the gladers she had watched die in front of her, but I also knew that wasn't the only reason of her sadness.