Winston

Newt and I sat in each other's arms until the sun rised. At that point, Thomas decided it was a good time to start our journey to the mountains. We walked for hours on the sun scorched desert. The whole city was in ruins. It was sad.

At around noon, we had finished climbing up a big sand hill when we spotted mountains. We all stopped standing side by side in the direction of the mountains.

"You think that's it?"Minho asked from beside Thomas.

"It had to be it," Thomas stood like the brave leader he was.

We were about to keep moving forward when Winston collapsed.

"Oh my god Winston!" Frypan shouted.

We scurried to where Winston lay on the floor.

"We gotta carry him somehow," Aris says.

"Here," I begin to take off my jacket to use it as a place to drag our friend.

"No love you need that. Keep it on," Newt pushed my jacket back to me. "Use this," Newt handed Thomas and Frypan an extra jacket from his backpack. They were able to construct a 'sled like' thing to pull Winston. (Lol I don't know what else to call whatever they made) we took turns dragging him. Newt never let me do it though. He always insisted on taking my turn. I didn't want him to, but he made it impossible to resist all the time. Shuck him for being so stubborn, I laughed on the inside. The first 'laugh' I have had in a while.

We kept walking for a few more hours until the heat was unbearable, so we found some ruins that could serve as shelter and we took a break.

Winston breathed heavily, his eyes closed. I felt awful seeing him in so much pain.

"How's he doing Fry?" I ask my quiet friend.

Frypan had always been close to Winston. I knew it was killing him seeing one of his best friends dying in front of him, knowing there was nothing we could do to help him.

"He's getting worse," Frypan whispered. A small sniffle escaping. I pulled him into a hug. I reminded myself of what Newt had told me, how he needed someone to hold.

"Thanks YN," Fry said into my hair.

I pulled back trying to give him a reassuring smile. I stood up and went to find Newt. He was sitting with his back to a piece of metal. A scar covered his left cheek. He looked exhausted just like the rest of us. But I know it hurt him more. He mentioned this morning how putting so much pressure into his leg hurt him after awhile.

"Sit love ," Newt pats the spot beside him. I listen and place myself as close as I can to him. "How're you feeling?" Newt breaks the silence.

"I'm fine thanks to you," I confess, "it's Winston I'm worried about." My eyes dart to him as his chest rises and falls. Every so often he coughs heavily.

I stay silent for a while, almost falling asleep on my boyfriends shoulder. I feel a hand placed on my forehead.

"You're boiling love!" Newts voice startles me. "Drink some water." He sits me up and hands me one of our half empty bottles.

"No," I try and protest. "I'm fine it's just the sun."

"Come on your body needs it," Newt uncaps the bottle and brings it to my lips. "You need to stay hydrated love," he scolds me. I finally give in, but I only take a tiny sip to make the water last as much as possible.

Suddenly a gunshot goes off from I front of me. All of us stand to our feet, and Thomas and Teresa who were outside dash back to us.

"What happened?" Thomas asks.

Frypan holds a gun away from Winston. "I don't know he just grabbed the gun and tried to shoot himself!"

"Please," Winstons begs holding out a hand for the gun. He then pulls up the bottom of his shirt to reveal his black, rotten stomach. I let out a small cry, placing one hand over my mouth. Minho stood next to me, putting one hand on my shoulder.

"It's growing inside of me." Winston explains, "please, don't let me turn into one of those things."

I watch as every breath he takes gives him pain and I cry, silently. Newt surprises us all by taking the gun from Frypans hand, kneeling down in front of Winston, and handing it to him.

This breaks my heart even more. If I were in Winstons situation, I'd want the same thing to happen to me. I couldn't bare forgetting myself and those I love and hurting them.

"Thank you," Winston croaks, "now get out of here."

"Goodbye Winston," Newt lets go of his friends hand and stands up.

I meet Winstons eyes one last time. He notices me crying and mouths a 'thank you.' It only makes me sob harder and Newt takes my hand and walks me away.

Thomas' POV:

All my friends take turns saying a sad goodbye to Winston. My eyes tear up. I realize I'm the last one. I stand there looking down at the boy who's turning into a crank.

"Thomas," Winston calls to me. "Take care of them."

I nod, Crying more.

"It's okay," Winston struggles to speak.

"I'm sorry," I finally leave and trail behind my friends.

I let it happen again. I let another innocent person die in front of my eyes. They counted on me to be their leader. They all trusted me enough to lead them to safety. And I was failing them. One by one they were disappearing in front of my eyes. I had let them down.

First all the gladers who I said I would help escape but instead got killed by greivers.

Then Chuck who I promised I'd reunite with his parents.

Then Jack, the poor boy who was eating alive.

Now Winston. Another friend who wanted nothing more than safety and a home.

I couldn't let any of this happen to the rest of my friends. My family.

Not Newt.

Or Minho.

Teresa.

YN.

Frypan.

Or Aris.

I had to protect them.

We walked in a line. One in front of the other. And after about 10 minutes. We heard a gunshot in the distance. We all stopped in respect of another fallen friend.

I'm so sorry.

I should've tried harder.

I can't take this anymore.

I can't keep watching my friends die in front of me.