Chapter 21

Max locks up a little giving me the gap into P1. I quickly take it and move into first on the first corner. "Yes Hannah! Keep going!" I hear my engineer say.  

After a while I hear.

Box this lap. Box box. Please confirm

Comes the call from my lead engineer, Gareth.

Copy

I reply and turn into the pit lane. I'm still first and Max is just far enough behind for me to pit and make it back out in front. I turn into the Red Bull pit slot and the light in front of me turns red. "This is taking too long." I say to myself. Then eventually the light goes green and I move into the pit lane, staying within the speed limit. As I come out the pit lane I see Max next to me on track. He moves past just as I exit the pit lane. "Damn." I say to myself as I move back onto the track. Focusing on the Red Bull in front of me.

"What happened in the pits?" I ask on my radio, a little upset. "Explain later. Focus on the race." Gareth says, which annoys me slightly but I carry on.

"Last lap Hannah. Give it everything." Says Gareth. I'm on Max's tail as we race the final lap around Monte Carlo. A small voice in my head reminds me that I'm currently in a position for my first podium but I ignore it and focus on the race. I round one of the final corners and see a bright orange McLaren in my rear view mirrors.

I pass the finish line and a smile breaks out across my face. "P2 Hannah. P2! Well done. Great race." Says Gareth. "Yes guys. Yes yes yes yes! Thank you guys. Well done to everyone. Thank you all." I say and a small tear falls from my eyes as I complete the cool down lap. In my rear view mirrors I spot the number on the McLaren and instantly smile.

Lando and I are on the podium together.

I park my car behind the P2 sign and jump out the car. I get hugs from my team before walking over to grab some water. "Nice job Max." I say and give him a fist bump. "Thanks. You too. You did great. Congrats on your first podium." He smiles. "Thanks." I smile. "Hannah!" I hear from behind me. "Lando!" I yell back. I run around and give him a huge hug. A ginormous smile covering both our faces. "Our first podium together babe." He whispers in my ear. "Yeah. I'm so happy. This is amazing." I say and let go of him. Before we could say anything else I was called for my interview.

"Hannah. How are you? Your first podium. How do you feel?" Asks the interviewer. "Great. I still can't believe it. This is amazing. It just shows that no matter who you are or where you come from. If you work hard you can achieve your dreams." I reply. The smile didn't leave my face for the rest of the interview.

"In third place. From the United Kingdom, Lando Norris!" The announcer says and Lando walks out onto the stage from in front of me. "In second place. From South Africa, Hannah Van Staden." I hear. Which is my queue. I walk out and wave at all the fans still on the stands. The smile almost hurting my face. I step onto the P2 step and face the crowds. "And in first place. From the Netherlands, Max Verstappen." The crowd roars at the mention of the winner.

I graciously take the trophy and lift it into the air. A huge smile covers my face. "This is for you dad. I hope you are ok." Rings through my head. I shake the thought from my head and grab the champagne bottle. "And now, The champagne!" Yells the announcer. I run over and spray it all over Lando and Max. Lando sprays me in return before walking up to me. "Fuck it." He says softly and kisses me on the podium in front of everyone. Revealing our relationship to the public. Some people in the crowd scream. Lando lets go and Max continues to spray us both with the remaining champagne.

After the champagne, Lando grabs my hand and pulls me off the stage along with our trophies. "I hope you don't mind that I did that." He says. "Not at all. This means I can now kiss you when ever I want." I smile and pull him back for a short kiss. He laughs and we get called away by our teams.

I walk into the garage and I'm attacked by my entire team. Everyone yelling in excitement. I get hugs from everyone. The entire Red Bull garage was full of joy. This was a great weekend.

After a quick shower I walk out the garage. Instantly I am swarmed by press, they are all yelling questions at me. Some about the race but mostly about mine and Lando's relationship. Which I expected but not like this. "Can you move out the way please." I plead and some move but others continue to yell things at me.

I look back to try to return to the garage but they have completely surrounded me. My breathing quickens a little before they eventually start to make a gap. I see someone pushing through them. They grab my hand and pull me out of the circle of press and straight into the Red Bull hospitality area.

"I- Uh thanks for that." I say with a small smile, slightly catching my breath. "No problem." My savior, Daniel, replies. "The press are monsters. Anyway. You and Lando, how long has that been going on?" Daniel asks which makes me laugh. "About two months. He's really great." I say. "Yeah well try to avoid the press for a while. I probably shouldn't be in here though. I'll see you later, well done today." Dan says walking back outside. "Thanks Dan." I call after him and he walks back to the McLaren garage. I grab a bottle of water before quickly making a run for the exit towards my hotel.