Chapter 27

Can we all just admire this man for a second ⬆️ I can't. The new livery for the Monaco GP is gorgeous. Anyways....
__________________________

I pull on the black dress that I bought about a week ago specifically for today. I smooth it out and slip on my black heels. I walk out the bathroom into the spare room and find Lando in an all black tux. He looks so good in a tux. Almost as good as he looks in a racing suit. Lando walks up to me and softly wipes off a tear I didn't even know was rolling down my cheek. He wraps me in a long hug before we walk to the car with our bags as we are staying on the farm tonight.

The ceremony was beautiful. I had a small speech prepared that I tearfully read out. Lando held my hand the whole way through the ceremony and it was so comforting to have him there for me. We stand up and I wrap my arms around Lando, letting a few tears escape. "It's going to be ok. It will all be ok." He says comfortingly. "I'm going to miss him so much, Lan." I say letting go of him. "I know you will and it will be hard but we will get through this. I promise." He says, taking hold of my hand again as we walk out of the church.

Many people along the way, offering their condolences. I walk around talking to everyone I recognize and Lando didn't leave my side once. Many people asking about both our racing careers which was nice because it helped take my mind off of everything.

Eventually everyone made their way to their cars and we all drove towards the farm. It is only an hour from the church. I tuck myself under Lando's arm, making me feel completely safe. "So what do you guys farm?" Lando asks making small talk with James, who is driving. "This area of the country is mainly wine farms because it's flat and there are few mountains." James confirms. "Yeah it's great. The wine we make tastes divine. If I do say so myself." James continues, earning a small laugh from the rest of us in the car.

We pull up to the house and I look around the familiar place and see a big tent has been placed on the front garden to hold all the people. The garden is huge and the tent take up about half of it. The double story house towers between all the trees. Thankfully there is a bit of open land behind the house so there is enough space for everyone to park.

"A few drinks will be served and then we will move to spread the ashes." My mom announces as people begin to arrive. "Hey. I'll get us something to drink. I'll be right back." Lando says before moving off into the tent. I slowly walk towards the building where we keep all the barrels of wine. Moving towards the back row, I sit down resting my head against the barrel behind me. I sit for a few minutes as memories fill my head. I tear falls, and then another. And another. Before a whole stream of tears fall down my face.

"Hannah!" I hear the familiar voice of Lando echo through the building. "Here." My voice softly replies. I hear his footsteps hand he turns the corner to see me on the floor. I wipe my tears away and look back at him. He sits down next to me, handing me the bottle of water he was carrying. "Thanks. How did you find me?" I ask as I open the bottle. "Your mom said you might be here. That you and your dad would spend time in here before you moved." He says, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. I place the water bottle down and lean my head on his shoulder.

"We would walk up and down the isles. And he would tell me when each barrel was made. And everytime he would explain the process so I could try to understand it. Eventually 8 year old me got it. James and I would somehow manage to play hide and seek in here with him. We would run around, giggling and he would chase us. One time James managed to knock one of the barrels down and it burst open. We were soaked and smelt of wine for a few weeks after that. Which was not great, my uncle was also very upset." I say with a small smile. "Coming back here has brought back so many memories I didn't even know that I remembered," I sigh "Like going to pick grapes and I ended up eating so much of them I felt sick. We would hike up the one mountain on the farm and spend a while having a picnic on the farm. Not forgetting all the karting races we travelled to." I say and Lando intertwines his free hand with mine. "He sounds like an amazing man. I really wish I could have met him." Lando says sadly. "He would have loved you. But not as much as I do." I say and Lando softly kisses my forehead.

We eventually make our way out the building, Lando's hand still wrapped in mine. "Ok you're here. Great, let's go." Mom says and moves infront of the crowd that she has gathered. "Darryl asked for he ashes to be spread at the dam just a short walk up from here. He loved spending Sunday evenings fishing and we would always have picnics there. If you all would follow me." She says and we all walk behind her. Since it is winter it wasn't too hot in the middle of the day but the vines looked quite sad without their leaves or bunches of grapes.

We arrived at the dam and everyone spread out since it was quite flat around the banks. "I would really like to thank you all for being here. I know it would have meant to do much to Darryl that you all are here today." My mom says as a tear slips out. "Goodbye to my loving husband, the father of my children and to my best friend. You will be dearly missed." She says and the tears fall from her and my eyes as she hands the jar of ashes over to James and my cousin who have been tasked with spreading the ashes. I hear Lando sniffle from next to me. "Aww baby." I say softly and kiss his cheek, hoping to comfort him. It causes him to smile a little before wrapping me in a tight, comforting hug.