Chapter 2

I change into a sundress that is light pink, dab a little makeup on, and I let my long hair down, brushing it. I slip a pair of sandals on, then dash down the stairs, hurrying to do the door, needing to see him.

As I'm going through the kitchen, my moms looks me up and down and shakes her head.

"What?" I ask, annoyed.

"I know why you got all dressed up for," she says, sliding a chicken breast into the oven.

I roll my eyes. "Mom," I say, looking out the screen door, "just don't tell dad."

She laughs. "Darling, your dad is over there right now saying 'hey' and helping that boy move the furniture."

"What?!" I screech, stomping to the door, dashing out and instantly looking across the road at the old brick house across the street.

My dad spots me and he smiles, waving me over. "Come say hey!" He yells.

I glance beside him at the hottest guy ever, and he is smiling, too. For some reason this makes me happy, and I walk over, maybe a little too excitedly.

Once I get over there, my dad introduces me to the hot guy beside him. Okay, forget hot, he's sexy.

He is so lean and muscular. I swear I would be drooling right now if he wasn't watching me with his intense dark green eyes.

"Hailey," my dad says, "meet Ashton Tyler. Ashton, meet my daughter, Hailey."

Ashton shoots me an amazing smile, and he holds out his hand. I take it, and although I notice how much bigger his hand is in mine, I look into his eyes as he holds my small hand.

He finally lets go, and the sensation filling me up is gone too soon.

Even though Ashton is too much taller than me, I simply admire him next to my five-foot-two frame.

My dad heaves up a piece of furniture, carrying if inside the house, leaving us two alone.

I heat up and decide to make conversation. "So," I say slowly, "you're new here."

He smirks. "Yeah," he replies cooly.

"Where did you move from?" I ask.

"Alabama," he says.

"Oh. Well, welcome to Louisiana!" I smile widely, and he just looks at me, like, wow, she's getting on my nerves.

"Uh," I say awkwardly, "where are your parents?"

"I don't live with them anymore. I'm twenty-one," he tells me.

This is surprising. "Oh," I say. "I'm only seventeen. But, I'll be graduating high school next year."

"Cool."

He just looks at me, and around at the trees and stuff. I wish he'd at least try to talk to me. Maybe he thinks I'm ugly. Is that it, huh?

My anger starts to boil, but I ask, "Do you have any hobbies?"

He nods. "I sing. I play a little guitar on the side."

Oh, so, he's in to music. I smile. "That's sound really cool. Maybe you could sing for me sometime?"

He gives me an annoyed look. "Maybe."

My dad walks out of the house and tells us he can't move everything himself.

I sigh and start moving stuff inside the house. Maybe this isn't going to work out like I planned.

But then again, I still have the rest of the summer. July starts tomorrow.