Chapter 22

In my journaling class, the teacher tells us to write how we feel in our journals. And for some odd reason, she starts to talk about forgiveness, and her words really speak to me.

"If they really mean it, sorry is enough."

I gulp. I think Ashton really meant it. I didn't forgive him though.

My phone suddenly vibrates. It's Summer.

Hey girl! Meet me after school at the bench out back. K?

I tell her okay, and after school, I find her sitting on the bench out back.

"Hey," I say, sitting beside her.

"Hi!" She smiles. "How is school?"

"Good," I reply. "I just wish you were here with me."

She nods. "I understand. I just can't deal with all the drama of me getting raped, you know?"

"Yeah, I know."

"But hey!" She says excitedly. "I gotta surprise for you!"

"Wha--"

Before the words escape my mouth, I spot Ashton walking towards us. What is he doing here?

"Hailey," he grabs my hand and I try jerking it back, but he is too strong. "I have missed you so much."

I shoot Summer a glare and whisper harshly to Ashton, "What are you even doing here? How did you get out of jail?"

"You don't need to worry about that, but I don't have much time. I just wanted to say I'm extremely sorry for everything I have done, and all I want is your forgiveness. I'm not asking you to keep loving me, I just want you to know how sorry I am. God, I still love you."

My breath gets caught in my throat, his hand still wrapped around mine, and I don't know why, but I kiss him. I still love Ashton.

I pull back, ignoring Summers gasp, and smile shyly. "I still love you, Ashton. But we can never be together anymore, you know that? And of course, I forgive you."

He smiles. "That's all I wanted. Thank you for everything, Hailey. I should go now."

Before I can say another word, he is gone and I'm left with Summer, wondering how I