₀₀₂. familiar faces

SOON ENOUGH, CROWLEY LED HER TO THE LIBRARY. It was much warmer there than the outside halls, illuminated in a soft glow. The room seemed to recognize the man as its owner as soon as they walked in— After he snapped his fingers once, the lights immediately flickered on.

And so began the search.

"There really is nothing," Crowley sighed after forty long minutes of scouring the shelves of the school library, top to bottom. He set his hat down and leaned over a mahogany desk. "And you're positive the name of the region is Kalos?"

"Yes. It's the largest region on the continent," Yuu sighed after looking up from the map he had given her. Not a single landmark or city she could recognize.

"Not only the world map, but this Kalos you speak of isn't written in any history." He closed a book shut and slid it back onto the table, squinting at her with suspicion. "Are you truly from where you say? You aren't lying to me, by chance?"

"I wish I was lying. Maybe then, I'd really be sent home."

The man gave her a meaningful look before sighing. "I have no idea how this is possible. Just how could this happen?"

He watched her fumble around with her pockets and pulled out another Pokéball again.Her voice was defeated as she lifted the item up to his eyes, "So what I'm hearing is that you have no idea what this is?"

The man stared at the object with contemplation, racking his mind for any recollections. In the end, he still shook his head. "...Not a clue. What is it, may I ask?"

"It's a Pokéball." Yuu's face fell. How could anyone not know what a Pokéball was?

"I... see. What does it do, exactly?"

"It's a device for catching Pokémon. This way, people can carry them around easily." Crowley looked just as confused as he did five minutes ago. "...I'm assuming you have no idea what that is either?"

"I'm afraid not."

"Pokémon is an abbreviation for Pocket Monsters. Like the name implies, they become portable when inside a Pokéball." She tossed the capsule to the floor. "Meowth, come out."

A bright glow filled the room and cast long shadows along the bookshelves as the ball snapped open. To Crowley's surprise, a beige cat-looking creature— with some strange golden token on its forehead— popped out.

"It's great to be out again! Finally! Wow, sure was stuffy in there."

He stared at the cat, placing a hand over his mouth. "Oh, my. Yuu-kun, this one can talk."

"Regrettably, sir."

"Hey!"

"Just kidding. Headmaster Crowley, this is Meowth," Yuu introduced, gesturing towards the creature, "one of my Pokémon. Meowth, this is Dire Crowley. He's the man who runs this academy."