₀₀₉. kitchen accident

PERHAPS THE "EGG DISCOVERY" WAS A LITTLE TOO MUCH FOR DEUCE TO HANDLE, because he was still out of it even as they returned to the school kitchens. He looked more shocked than when he discovered Pokémon Evolution existed. He walked despondently, with dragging feet and glazed eyes. Yuu was beginning to regret telling him.

(Grim was grumbling on the way back, muttering about how rudely he was woken up from his nice nap.)

Ace shot both of them a weird look when they came back. He asked why Deuce was acting so strange and she merely shrugged and told him to leave it alone. Trey, who noticed that Fletchling was missing, asked where she went and Yuu had no choice but to say she wasn't feeling well. 

(Ace had sent her a wary look then, knowing for sure there was no way Fletchling was sent home.)

At last, Trey dusted his powdery fingers over a few tarts. "Alright, we just need to sprinkle the powdered sugar on the last of this batch..."

"And we're done!" Grim, Ace and Yuu cheered happily, followed by a sullen "hooray" from Deuce. The poor boy, was he really that shaken?

Ace pointed a thumb in his direction. "Seriously, what happened to you guys while you were shopping?"

She and Grim shared a look. "More than you'd like to think."

Deuce groaned and shook his head dolefully. "Just what in the world did I believe for sixteen years?"

Yuu took a couple of steps back to admire the fruits of their labor— A fresh batch of Mont Blanc tarts sitting prettily on the counter. She wasn't that well-versed in making tarts, but the results turned out better than expected. Trey's baking skills and guidance were not to be underestimated. He was a person she was starting to respect more and more.

"Who knew that making desserts could take so long?" Ace wrung his hands and looked out the window at the now milky purple sky. "Man, I'm so exhausted."

"Nice work! Did you guys finish all the tarts?" Just then, Cater's head poked through the doorway, causing her to jump. He smiled jubilantly as he bounded through the kitchen.

Ace, who was just as startled as her, exclaimed, "Hey! Where were you this whole time?"