𝑜𝓃𝑒

My mother flitted about me, straightening my dress and adding pins to my hair. Her constant fussing was making me nervous.

"Mother." I said, catching her hand in mine. "I'll be alright. I look fine" Mother looked at me with tear-filled eyes.

"I know, I know." She whispered, putting her hand on my cheek. "I hope you aren't chosen. I need your help." Her voice was barely audible.

My stomach clenched. If I was chosen, I don't know how my mother would handle it. She has always been fragile, ever since father was killed in a robbery-gone-wrong. My brother would help her but he was gone so much for work. I just know that she'll crumble again and I won't be there to pick up the pieces.

There was a soft knock at my door and my brother, Nickolas entered my room. He smiled proudly at me.

"My little sister is all grown up. You look lovely, Aracelli."

I turned to look at myself in the mirror. I was wearing a simple gown made from a deep green silk. It was plain. No jewels adorned the dress. Jewels weren't allowed for the ceremony in order to keep from isolating the classes. Common girls and noble girls were all equal for one day a year. After today, noble girls would go back to looking down on us village girls. I had worn this dress for my other two Choosing Ceremonies. If I could get through this ceremony without being chosen, I would only have one more year of the ceremonies.

Girls ages sixteen to nineteen were lined up to be chosen every year to appease the Beast of the Wood. He demands that a maiden is given to him to be his wife every year. If we don't, he will destroy our crops and blow up our mines, therefore, destroying our livelihood.

Being Chosen is talked about as if it is an honor. But everyone knows that the girls who are chosen don't come home. They are killed by the end of the year. Once, we held the wedding for the girl, Alya, at the edge of the woods, as required by custom. We left her there so the Beast of the Wood could retrieve her. But when a boy was playing in the wood the next day, he found her dead where we left her. She hadn't even made it to his home.

Nobody knows who or what the beast is. Some say he is a demon or a man cursed to be a beast. Some say he is a fallen angel or a vampire. All we know is that somewhere, deep in the Wood, he rules a magical kingdom full of fierce warriors and ruthless people. The Beast of the Wood is rumored to be a viscous creature, cruel and calculating.

My brother places his hand on my shoulder, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Are you ready, sister?" I nod and he leads me outside toward our wagon. He helps me and my mother up into the wagon. We ride quietly towards the edge of the woods. No one talks. We are all too nervous for the ceremony.

When we arrive, I head to the large tent where all the girls in the Choosing Ceremony are waiting. All the girls who are sixteen and are participating in the ceremony for the first time are huddling around each other nervously. Some look as if they have been crying. Some of the older girls whisper quietly to each other. No one talks loudly. It is reverently quiet in the tent. A couple minutes after I arrive, the priest enters the tent and motions for us to follow him.

We follow him out to the field. A large alter is set up at the edge of the woods facing out towards the field. We line up oldest to youngest in front of the alter.

The priest walks up to the alter and motions for the buzzing crowd of villagers to quiet.

"Citizens of the village of Keir. We gather here for the annual Choosing Ceremony. I have pondered long and hard, consulted ancient text, and meditated in the woods in order to choose a young lady for this great honor. After much deliberation, I have chosen..."

My heart pounds and my blood rushes in my ears. I cross my fingers and squeeze my eyes shut. Please don't be me. Please

"Aracelli Newmore."