𝓈𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃

I woke to cold hands pressed against my forehead.

      I sat up quickly but felt lightheaded. I fell back against the pillow. 

      A soothing voice whispered something in my ear. "Don't try to sit up. Just lay here and rest."

     I hear two men talking, one of the voices sounded familiar.

     The unfamiliar voice said "Her human body isn't used to our food and the magic in our air. She has an illness similar to the human's flu. She will be alright in a couple days. Just keep her fever down. And make her drink this herb in her tea for a week."

     "Thank you doctor. I will make sure she takes it." 

      I heard the door shut and the creak of a body sitting in a chair next to my bed.

     I felt a wet cloth being pressed to my forehead.

     The voice, I realized, was Cirillo. 

     "You scared us all there for a moment. When you locked your door and didn't let anyone in and you didn't answer our knocks, we assumed the worst. We thought you dead when we broke open the door and you were lying there, unconscious due to fever." 

     "I'm sorry." I rasped, my throat dry and hoarse.

      He helped me sit up and I sipped some water.

     "It's alright. You will be fine now. You just need rest and to let your body adjust. This has happened to a couple of the other girls too. They always recover."

     "Are you going to make me do the ceremony to link us?"

     He sighed. "No. I'm not. My father forced my mother and she resented him the rest of her life. You only have one half. Some people never find theirs. I don't want you to resent me more than you already do."

     He stood.  "I have a privy council meeting. I'll come by later to see how you are faring."

     He didn't come back.

     A couple days later, I was feeling much better. I had walked in the gardens and went on a ride through the city on horseback. Cirillo told me that he was taking me somewhere and to dress in a light summer dress. 

     I didn't know why I needed a light summer dress in the dead of winter, but I didn't argue.

     I was waiting for him when he arrived. 

     "How are you feeling?"

     "Good. I've felt much better all week." 

      He smiled "Good, I'm glad."

     He led me through the castle. Through winding corridors and dim lit hallways. When we finally got to a dimly lit hallway, he slowed to a stop. 

     "You can never tell another living soul about what I'm going to show you. Promise me." He said harshly.

     "I promise." 

     He led me through a doorway into a small room. A large mirror was hanging on the wall.

      He grabbed my hand. "Whatever you do, don't let go."

     Cirillo pulled us forward into the mirror. 

       We melted into it. Stepping into the mirror was like stepping into thick, cool, silvery water. We slid through it like eels in water. It was a strange sensation.