𝓈𝒾𝓍

"What is a heart's half?" 

     Madame Currade took my hand in her worn, leathery one.     

     "You are his equal in every way. Your hearts are entertwined. They have been since your birth. When you are linked, you will be able to feel each others pain and strong emotions. For example, if you get stabbed, he will get a sensation in the spot that you were stabbed."

    I sucked in a breath. I don't want to be his heart's half. 

     "I don't want to be linked. I don't want to be his heart' half." 

   "You aren't linked yet. You have to go through a linking ceremony." 

     "I'm not going through with another ceremony. I'm done with them. What is it with you and ceremonies?" I stood up. "I'm leaving. Thank you for your time."

     I stormed out the door.

     "Take me home." I demanded. "And not your home. My home. My village. If you won't. Then kill me. Kill me right here and now. Leave my body for the birds for all I care. I don't want to be your heart's half. I don't want to be here."

       Emotion overtook me and I felt the tears streaming down my face. Embarrassed, I turned away. Cirillo touched my arm. 

     "I can't take you back. You know too much, you've seen too much. And I won't kill you. So stop asking. And I won't make you be my half.  It's your choice."

      "Then take me back to the palace. Please." I whispered. My voice broke and I hated it. I hated showing so much weakness in front of him.

    He pulled me close to him and suddenly we were back at the palace. I didn't ask him how we got back. I knew the answer. Magic. I rushed to my room and shut and locked the door. 

     I didn't even bother taking off my clothes before I fell asleep. 

     I didn't open my door for Lola or anyone the next morning. I didn't leave my room. 

     My head pounded and my stomach roiled. I felt sick and achy all over. I closed my eyes and let sleep overtake me.