𝓉𝓌𝑜

My heart fell to my feet. No. No, this couldn't be true. I had to be dreaming. I had to be imagining things.

I heard my mother scream. I heard her call my name. I turned to see her collapse and my brother catch her. He pulled her close. They were both crying.

An older lady grabbed my arm.

"Come on, dear. We need to get you ready." I followed her numbly. She led me back to the tent. She handed me a box.

"This is yours. Put it on quickly. We don't have much time."

I went behind the screen in the corner of the tent and put the gown on.

It was white.

A wedding dress.

It was a beaded bodice and a tulle skirt. The sleeves hung off my shoulders and were adorned with the same beads as the bodice. I slipped it on. It slid over my head and fit me perfectly. I couldn't tie the bodice strings so the old lady helped me lace them.

She fixed my hair and added rouge to my cheeks.

"You look perfect. A beautiful bride."

I was a bride. It hit me then. I was going to marry a monster. I began to cry.

"No, no, don't cry." The lady rubbed my shoulder. "You'll be alright. You'll be alright. I just know it. You're a strong girl." She didn't look like she believed her own words though.

She led me out of the tent and up to the altar. I stood there as the priest began.

He recited the vows, binding me to the Beast of the Wood.

The Beast wasn't here. I was marrying him through a proxy. A man from our village.

He finished the vows. He handed me a jeweled dagger.

"You will use this dagger to finish the binding."

I cut my palm and held it face up. The priest took my hand and pressed it to the altar.

" You are his wife. You are the Queen of the Wood."

I was led back to the tent so I could say my goodbyes. My mother rushed in. She pulled into a hug.

"My dear. My baby!" She clung to me, sobbing. "I love you."

"I know, Mother. I love you too." I kissed her cheek.

"Aracelli, I'll take care of her." Nickolas whispered in my ear when he hugged me too. We clung to each other until the priest came in and told me it was time to go.

Everyone was gone. The field was empty. He led me to the altar. He helped me up. I sat there as he told me that I couldn't run. If I ran, the Beast of the Wood would kill me. He couldn't restrain me because he couldn't force me to go with the Beast either. I had to stay here until the Beast came and I went with him to his kingdom. I nodded. The priest gave me one last glance then walked away.

I was alone.

The sun was setting. It was getting colder. I had goose bumps on my arms. I wrapped my arms around myself to keep the heat in. I don't know how long I sat there. I lay down on the altar and wrapped my arms around my legs. The dress wasn't warm and I didn't have a cloak. I shivered.

All of a sudden I heard a noise. I sat up and called out "Who's there?"

A deep voice answered me.

"Your husband."