𝒻𝑜𝓊𝓇

I woke up alone.

After he dismissed the maid, we consumated our marriage. It had been quick and rushed. He had seemed, well, bored. That made me angry.

There was a soft knock at my door.

"Come in."

The same maid from last night entered, carrying a tray.

"Breakfast, my lady."

"Thank you."

She hesitated before saying "Are you in pain my lady? I can add an herb in your tea." I nodded, embarrassed. She added a pinch of an herb from a bag in her pocket to the tea and stirred it in.

"It's alright, my lady. You should be honored. He's never done that before."

"Come to his wife's room on his wedding night?"

"No, my lady. They stay a little while. Sometimes days, sometimes weeks. Never longer than a month though. And he never visits their rooms and they never visit his. And I'm Lola, your majesty."

"Nice to meet you, Lola. Please call me Aracelli."

She shook her head vigorously. "Oh no, my lady. I could never."

"Please. As your queen, I demand it." I said.

"Oh alright, if you demand it." She smiled brightly.

I ate my breakfast quickly. It consisted of biscuits and honey, eggs, and bacon. Then she helped me into a gown. It was light pink and had a full skirt covered with ruffles. I felt like a doll. She pulled my hair up into a intricate braided bun and put little pins with pink jewels into the bun.

"Follow me." She said and I did.

We came to a large room filled with bookshelves.

"The king insists that you attend the privy council meeting."

I noticed Cirillo standing at the table. He looked up and saw me standing in the doorway.

He smirked "Sleep well?" He asked.

"No. Thanks to you." I snapped.

"You're so very welcome." He drawled, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

He motioned for me to come to him. "You'll sit next to me at the head of the table." The table was wide enough that two chairs could be placed at the head of the table.

Soon, the men on the privy council arrived. They all bowed to us. Cirillo motioned for them to take their seats. He pulled out my chair and I sat. He sat next to me. They began their discussion of border disputes and and armies and famine. I tried to pay attention. When they began talking about Keir, I grew concerned. They were considering taxing my people in addition to the choosing. My people couldn't stand to be taxed. The farmers and merchants were barely scraping by as it was.

"You can't do that." I demanded.

All their attention turned to me.

"And why, dearest, can I not tax the people of Keir. I hold their livelihood in my palm. I command the most powerful army the continent has ever seen. I can do whatever I wish." His voice was steely and cold. He was angry that I had spoken.

"My people are poor. Taxing them will destroy them. Most people can barely get by as it is. Some are so poor that when they send their children away to bigger cities' orphanages so they don't have to feed them. They won't be able to pay the tax."

"Then they will pay the tax with their lives." He stood. "And they are no longer your people. You are my wife. Your people are the people of Javaid. That's where your loyalty should lie. Not to the measly little village you once called home."

He motioned for a guard. "Get her out of here." He turned to me. "I'll talk to you later."

The guard grabbed my arm but I wrenched it away.

"No. I will never be loyal to a bunch of monsters who kidnapped me from my home and made me a toy for a king. I'd rather die."

Cirillo turned to the men at the table. "Get out." He commanded. Within seconds, they were all gone.

"You are a selfish, ungrateful child. I saved you from starving to death or worse, marrying the next door neighbor and being a poor farmers wife. Where your only value would be the sons that you bore. I brought you to a beautiful city and showered you with riches. Yet you laugh in my face. Why?" His face was cold and unforgiving.

"I was fine where I was. We were comfortable. I had my family. Here I'm alone."

"You can be comfortable here." He told the guard to take me to my room and I was to eat dinner by myself tonight.