𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃

I am dressed like the queen that I am. 

     My dress is black and shimmery. Tiny jewels shimmer like stars on the ebony fabric. My hair is wavy and loose down my back except for a few braids holding it out of my face. I have silver jewelry with diamonds shaped like sun bursts. I feel like a Queen. 

      Because I am a queen. 

     Cirillo enters the room. Our  room. He stops dead in his tracks when he sees me. 

      His clothing is the male version of mine. His brocaded jacket is black with silver stitching. His hair is combed and neat. 

     "I need your help with the diadem. I can't get the pins in." He helps me pin the diadem in my hair. The diamond hanging from the center rests on my forehead like a fairy kiss. 

      He pulls his silver circlet from the box on the vanity and I place in on his head. 

     "You look beautiful." He whispers, trailing a finger down the silver stitching on the sleeve of my gown. I straighten the collar of his shirt. 

      "You do too." He gives me a lopsided smile. 

     "I mean, you look handsome. I'm nervous if you can't tell." 

      "I know. But it's ok. I'll be by your side the entire time."

     Today is the day of my coronation ball. Royals and nobles from all over the fae world will be here. Watching me. Waiting for the poor human girl to mess up, to stumble. 

     "I feel sick I'm so nervous. What if I mess up. What if I trip and fall? What if I say the wrong thing? What if- "

      He cuts me off by kissing me lightly on the lips. "Those are all 'what ifs'. What if everything goes smoothly? What if you say something so smart that you blow away all the nobles?  What if you look so regal that all the ladies are jealous?

     I believe in you. And besides, you've practiced so much, you could say your speech in your head. Backwards."

      "You're right. Thank you." 

      "Are you surprised? I'm always right!" He jokes.

      "Way to ruin a moment." 

       "Moments are made to be ruined." 

        A footman knocks on the door. "Your majesty, its time to go."

       He grabs my hand. "You'll be fine."

     We are introduced by the announcer as "His majesty, the King and Her Majesty, the Queen." 

      The ballroom is filled with the sounds of rusting skirts and the clinking of metal and jewelry as people bow and curtsy. Cirillo and I walk arm and arm down the grand staircase and make our way through the center of the room to the dais.  

      The elaborate thrones are gold with plush velvet seats. They are adorned with rubies and diamonds and emeralds. Above them hangs a banner with Javaid's crest. A dragons wearing a crown with a man riding on its back, holding a sword high in the air.      

     Cirillo pauses at the dais. "People of Javaid and members of my court. Thank you for coming here tonight in honor of our wedding and my wife's coronation. As you may know, I have never had such a big celebration for my wives before her. But Aracelli is my half and she will be protected. She is my wife and my queen. We hope that you will honor her tonight with this celebration." He turns to me and we make our way to the dance floor. 

     "Would you honor me with the first dance of the evening?" He says, dipping low in his bow. 

      "Of course, your majesty." I try to mask the sarcasm in my voice, hoping only he will hear it. 

       The music starts up in a slow waltz. We glide across the floor, hand in hand. 

       "You are doing quite well so far." He comments as we dance. 

      "Thanks to the instructor you hired." 

      "Sir Florence? Ah yes, wasn't he dreadful and dull? He taught me to dance. I hated him."

      "Then why did you hire him for me?" I ask, incredulous. 

      "Because he is the best at what he does ! And I wanted you to suffer as much as I did!" He laughs merrily. 

     When the song ends, we make our way back to the dais and sit down. 

      Cirillo looks over to me. "We should go mingle eventually. But I hate small talk so we can put it off until absolutely necessary." He gives me a mischievous grin. 

       "I don't want to seem rude. I'll go first. " I stood up. "Don't die of boredom." I tease. 

       "I'll try."

       A lady with a bright orange dress that closely resembles a pumpkin and a plume of matching feathers in her silvery hair approaches me. She gives me a disapproving once-over. 

      "I wonder why, of all the girls he's married, that he decides your different?" She sniffs. 

      "I don't know ma'am. He hasn't said anything to me about why he chose me."

      " I don't know either. You're rather homely. And you have no accomplishments that I'm aware of. You're rather unremarkable, if I'm being honest." 

       I'm dumbfounded. I don't know what to say. I muster my courage.

      "I may not be the prettiest one or the most accomplished person, but at least I'm polite. At least I don't insult someone to their face. At least I'm not parading around, putting on airs while dressed as a jack o'lantern." I spin on my heel and walk away. I'm quite proud of myself actually. 

     Cirillo comes up beside me. "I like it when you are all snarky. You put the Duchess in her place."

      "She was a duchess?" I groan. 

      "Don't worry, she is so embarrassed she won't do anything lest she'll have to tell people what you said. She does bear a remarkable resemblance to a pumpkin, doesn't she?"

     The rest of the evening passes smoothly. By end of the night, I'm so tired that I barely stay awake long enough to put on a nightgown.  I don't even have enough strength to crawl under the covers. 

     If I had been aware, I would have known that Cirillo picked me up and put me under the covers. I would have known that he pulled the pins out of my hair and the jewels off my neck and ears. I would have known that he kissed my forehead and blew out the lamp before crawling in the bed beside me. I would have heard him whisper "Goodnight, Love."