𝓉𝑒𝓃

I'm sitting in the library, reading a book on plants when Cirillo walks in. 

     "I have a surprise for you." He announces. 

I stand up. "What? What is it?" He gives me a devilish grin. 

     "Follow me." 

     We wind through the corridors and he comes to a stop outside an elaborate door. I wasn't paying attention because I have never been in this part of the castle before so I slam into his back. I stumble backwards. Cirillo reaches out and grabs my hands to keep me from falling. I can't help the blush that creeps over my cheeks. 

     He looks at our hands then drops them like my hands burnt him. He cleared his throat uncomfortably. 

      "This is our rooms. The king and queen's suite. 

     I knew at first that you wouldn't want to stay in the same room as me. But it is normal for a husband and wife to share chambers. But we don't have to. I can stay in my chambers and you can move in here." He adds hurriedly. 

      I step into the room. It is the most gorgeous room I have ever seen. Everything is white or gold. A huge canopy bed sits against the east wall and a large glass door leading to a balcony is on the far wall. 

       "There is a connected bathing room and sitting room too."

     "This is amazing." I breathe. Cirillo grabs my hand. 

     "Do you want me to have your things moved in? Do you want me to stay with you?"
I look at his face. He looks so proud. So excited for me to say yes. I would hate to tell him no. We are married.

     "Yes. Move my things in. And yours."

      His face breaks into a grin. He laughs gleefully and picks me up and spins me in a circle. He sets me down and my eyes are level with his chin. He laughs again.

      "You're so short. You're pocket sized." 

     "You're only so tall because you have to have enough room to store your ego." I retort.

      "Ouch!" He puts his hand to his heart as if he's wounded. "Sticks and stones may break my  bones, and your words really hurt me." 

     "You're impossible." 

     He pulls on my hair. "Impossible handsome."

     "More like impossibly egotistical."

     He doesn't respond. He's staring at me. He's staring at my lips.

     "You've never looked so beautiful."

     "You said yourself I wasn't pretty."

     He frowns deeply. "When?"

     "The first night. Our wedding night." 

     Cirillo blanches. "That night will forever haunt my nightmares. I was terrible to you. I'm so sorry.  Can you forgive me?" 

     I pull away from his embrace and wrap my arms around myself. 

     "I don't know. That night—" I shiver. "That night was awful." 

     "I know. I know I was a terrible person. I was angry and scared and— I have no excuse I know. But I won't hurt you again. I promise." He grabs my hand and holds it tightly. "You're my half. I'm want to protect you. I want to keep you from hurt not cause it." He lowers his head and I can see the sincerity in his eyes, I can hear the sincerity in his apology.

     "I forgive you. I don't want to do that yet. I'm just— I'm just not comfortable with that yet." 

      He nods.  "When you're ready." 

     He pushes a stray strand of hair from my face. Then he leans down and presses his lips to mine. I melt in his embrace. 

     When we kiss, the worlds spin and planets collide. Stars explode into tiny sun bursts in the sky.  This kiss should have ballads and plays written about it. Word can't describe it. It feels like,well, magic. 

     He pulls away, breathless.  "If I don't stop now, I won't be able to stop." I can feel his heart beating under my palms. He runs a finger down my arm and I shiver.  "I'll have a guard move in our things." His smile is pure and genuine.

     He turns toward the door. He is almost out of the room when I do something rash. 

     "Cirillo!" I call out. "Thank you. For the room, for everything. I'm glad we are friends now."

     The corners of his mouth drop slightly. "Yes, friends. We are friends. And your welcome. I'm happy to do it." Then he spins on his heel and leaves me alone with my thoughts.