62. child of gabriel

We were all still reeling as we made our way from the Reliquary and back into the main part of Sanctum. Luckily, everyone was still at the funeral for Rose, giving us some time to compose ourselves before we had to be seen.

Well, everyone was at the funeral except for two.

"Avery!" David gave me a quick wave as he and Greer quickly approached us. I felt my face fall at his arrival. Partly because I was afraid we were about to get caught, and partly because his presence offset me.

Bellamy instinctively took a step closer to me as Murphy looked to David with an angry expression.

I tried to hide my worried composure as the two of them finally reached us. Greer looked exhausted and bored, clearly not happy with being dragged around all day.

"Hi, guys." I greeted, forcing a smile onto my face. "What's going on."

David looked slightly concerned as he looked at the three boys behind me. "I-uh- I need you to take Greer now instead."

I was slightly taken aback as I looked down at the young girl who limply held onto her father's hand. "Why?" I demanded. 'What happened?"

David watched my face for a moment, clearly seeing past my facade. "You know, don't you?"

My heart skipped a quick beat as I shook my head. "What are you talking about?"

"You know what kind of people run this place." he clarified. "You know that they're monsters."

"I--"

"Is everything okay?" Bellamy demanded, instantly arriving next to me. He watched David with a stern look.

I nervously tucked my hair behind my ear. "Bell, this is David and Greer. David, this is my fiancé, Bellamy."

Neither of the two men said anything to the other, both of them clearly not thrilled by the other's presence.

"Avery, I need you to take her." David repeated, looking down to his daughter. "I-I've written a list of everything you'll need to take care of her." He held out a piece of paper, his hand shaking slightly as he handed it to me.

I gave him a skeptical look before taking the paper from him. Quickly reading over it, I noted how it detailed every aspect of Greer's life. Her allergies, what time she went to sleep, what days she went to daycare, her favourite colour, her favourite song, her favourite food...the list went on.

"What is this?" I demanded, dropping my voice as I took a step closer to him. "What are you doing?"

David held my gaze as he swallowed hard. "What needs to be done."

Bellamy looked between the two of us, his jaw clenched as he tried to decipher what was happening.

The way David held onto Greer, the way his eyes dimmed slightly in sadness...I knew what he was planning.

"No." I whispered, shaking my head as I registered his plan. "Whatever you're planning, you can't." I argued, looking down to Greer who blissfully looked around. "You have a daughter." I exclaimed, my voice cracking slightly.

David shushed me as Greer looked up at us. She looked at the two of us curiously, wondering why I had referenced her.

I let out a small breath as I turned slightly. "Bell, can you take Greer over there for a moment?" I questioned, wanting to get that innocent little girl away from this conversation.

Bellamy seemed slightly unsure at first, but one pleading look from me caused him to nod. "Yeah." he whispered, bending down in front of Greer. "Hey, Greer. I'm Bellamy, Avery's friend. Do you want to come hangout with me over there?"