The Storm {7}: The Rainbow

{+}{+}{+}

Nathaniel and Marc cleared a table, placing the objects Marinette requested on it. The two only had to wait five minutes before the said bluenette hurried into the room.

She wore an extra pair of clothes she kept in her locker for, what Alya dubs it, "clumsy emergencies," clutching the damaged dress and mask within her arms. Marinette walked up to the table and placed the fancy gown on the surface.

"Is there anything else I can do to help?" Marc asked, still feeling guilty for ripping the skirt. Marinette hummed, thinking for a moment but shook her head.

"Not right now but I'll tell you when I need your help. Also, don't sweat it. I'm really not mad at you at all. I'm the dummy for using such weak fabric," Marinette reassured the writer before hunching over the desk. Marc frowned before feeling something comforting squeeze his shoulder.

Marc looked over at his comic partner, who warmly smiled and eased Marc's regret. The boys walked over and looked over the bluenette's shoulder to see her quickly sketch the top part of the dress. Marinette sat back in her seat, tapping the pencil's eraser against her chin in thought. She glanced between the dress and the sketch, trying hard to figure out how to fix it.

   Nathaniel could tell that his friend is struggling. His eyes locked onto the dress before shifting over to the half-done sketch. An idea began to form in his brain of what she could possibly do to maybe improve it rather than fixing it.

   "I'm not sure if this advice is helpful in any way..." the redhead began, "...but when an artist accidentally messes up their picture and there is no way to undo it, they don't redo the whole thing or try to fix it. They use that mistake as an opportunity to improve the picture."

Marinette hummed, knowing that that advice, while it's true, can be very risky. If she messed up again, there's no telling how it will turn out. She might even ruin the dress but it's a risk she'll have to take.

"Alright, let's try to improve it."

"Wait, don't you live across the street? Why don't you go get a new dress from your closet? I'm sure you have other dresses in there that could work," Marc suggested, "I just don't want you to regret anything before it starts. Trying to improve something can be difficult or make a lot worse."

"I'm glad you're worried, Marc, but it has to be this dress," Marinette replied.

"How come...if you don't mind me asking," the writer asked.

"Let's just say, it's going to help me find someone. If I can't find them, hopefully, they'll be able to spot me," Marinette answered, getting confused looks from both boys, who looked at each other as if the other had an answer. They shrugged and returned their attention back to Marinette.

"What if you sewed the bottom of the skirt enough up inside the dress to hide the torn-out part?" Nathaniel said. Marinette shook her head, "That'll look really weird."

"How about cutting it shorter off the bottom? Then, there is less likely any chance for someone to accidentally step on it again," Nathaniel suggested, making Marc wince.

"Maybe..." Marinette said, still feeling like it wasn't exactly right quite yet but something she'll probably have to do. If Marinette is going to have to change her favorite dress, then she wanted it to do it right.

"What about a fishtail?" Marc spoke up. Marinette perked up at the suggestion before looking at Marc with a smile.

"I like that idea," the bluenette exclaimed, starting to sketch out the bottom part of the dress, "Luckily, I've made a lot of fishtail-designed dresses in the past, so it shouldn't take too long and look really good."