The Message

{+}{+}{+}

   "So, did you get that cute boy's phone number?"

   Marinette was so caught off guard by the question, she nearly slipped and fell onto the kitchen floor. Bluebell eyes glared at the redheaded woman sitting at the counter with a sly grin. Tikki was next to her mother coloring a picture, not paying any attention to the conversation.

   "No! Why would you even think that?" Marinette asked, flustered. The bluenette took a shower but still had some remaining flour on her. She had to change into a tank top and shorts since her other clothes were covered in the white powder.

   Now, she was in the kitchen with a rag and wiping the rest of the baking ingredient off. Marinette's aunt had decided to tease her niece for the fun of it. Marinette could get so easily flustered at the smallest things. When a time like this came around, Celine would take full advantage of it.

"I just told you why: that boy is cute," Celine said, making the teen's glare harden and cheeks pinker. Her aunt really knew which buttons to press when it came to embarrassing the bluenette.

Finally done washing the flour off, Marinette was able to scurry away from Celine and her teasing. Marinette tossed the rag into a hamper before retreating to her room. She picked up her phone to see a text message from Alya.

From Alya:

Girl, I've got my dress for the dance! Did you finish yours yet?

Below the message, a picture of a dazzling and sparkling dress with black fading down into a dark purple color. Alya was wearing the dress with a dark purple mask replacing her glasses. The picture looked like she took it into a mirror considering her phone was included. The girl looked stunning, to say the least.

Marinette practically drooled over the design. The dress was elegant and breathtaking which kind of concerned her with how much it cost. The teen quickly replied to her best friend.

To Alya:

You look so amazing! Where did you get it? How much did it cost?

It only took the redhead a minute to reply.

From Alya:

I know right! I love it! It was on sale at Gabriel Agreste's store since they don't invest with him anymore, so it barely costs half for what it's really worth. What a stroke of luck too! It looks like what Americans call Black Friday at every Agreste store in Paris.

   Marinette's eyes widen at the news. Once the stores were completely empty, there might not be any more of Gabriel's clothes or works left in Paris until the man gets out of jail. Or, the used-to-be world-renowned fashion designer won't be able to design again once he is free.

   Gabriel might have to find a new job all because of his other secret business. Who knows how long, or if he will ever design another piece of work again?

   Marinette squeaked in surprise when her phone alerted her of a new message from Alya. How long did she space out for, she thought and opened the new message.

   From Alya:

   Hey, Girl? Are you okay? I'm sorry about mentioning...him...and forgot you are probably still really bummed about it.

   Marinette replied, feeling a little guilty for leaving Alya in the dust while sorting her thoughts. They talked for a few more minutes about their day (Alya going loco on the "flour incident" and wanting to know every single detail).

From Alya:

So, did you get his phone number? ;)

The bluenette's face flushed pink and wondered why everyone wanted to know if she got the blonde boy's number. She quickly replied, denying her best friend of the idea. Alya finally stopped her teasing, and the two continued to talk.

At the moment, Alya took a while to send the next text, something itched at Marinette's brain. Bluebell eyes searched the room until spotting the unfinished dress next to the sowing machine.

   The panicky teen placed her phone down, forgetting the reason why she was on it in the first place. She stumbled down the ladder, getting her foot caught and fell backward onto the floor.

   "I can't believe I forgot to finish my dress!" She said to no one, getting up and got to work. Still sitting on her bed, the phone alerted its owner of a new text from Alya. Marinette didn't hear it, too focused on her work.

A couple of hours passed before the teen was knocked out. Her head rested next to the sowing machine with drool slipping from her mouth onto the desk.

Celine knocked on the trap door before entering Marinette's room. The woman smiled fondly at the girl peacefully asleep at her desk. Sabine soon followed in behind and had the same reaction as Celine.

"She truly is something," Celine whispered, gesturing to the ladybug designed dress next to the sowing machine. The Chinese woman nodded in agreement and walked over to the tired seamstress.

"I wish we could tell her the truth," Celine admitted, quietly with crossed arms. She felt guilt weighing down on her shoulders for the teenager. Her stomach twisted with remorse every time she had to force a fake smile and joke around like nothing was wrong. It made her sick.

Sabine froze in her tracks and gave the other woman a stern look.

"It's for her own good, and you of all people should know that," the baker replied, making Celine frown more. The Chinese woman reached down and tucked a lock of hair behind Marinette's ear.

"Besides..." Sabine continued, gazing down at the younger bluenette, "...she would be devastated—heartbroken if she knew. It's for the best. For her best." Celine didn't like the sound of it but didn't argue any further as Sabine awoke the sleeping designer from her dreams.

Marinette's eyes fluttered open sleepily, revealing a beautiful bluebell and saw her mother standing nearby. The grouchy teen sat up and rubbed her tired eyes.

"I think I prefer laying my head on a pillow than on a desk, Mari, but you do you, boo," Celine whispered, cheekily and winked at the groggy Marinette.

Marinette in return glared at her aunt before kissing her mother's cheek and wishing both of them goodnight. She climbed up to her loft and instantly fell asleep once her head hit the pillow.

Celine's smile faded and replaced with a long sigh. The redhead left the room and headed towards the guest room to join her snoring daughter. Sabine left the teen's room shortly after and went to her bedroom as well, thinking over Celine's proclamation.

Sabine also felt the guilt eating her alive and crushed her heart into pieces but had to lock it up inside just like the others for Marinette's sake.

It was for the best.

{+}{+}{+}