The Safe

{+}{+}{+}

    Shan drove the girls to the airport and paid for their tickets. Marinette argued about how she could've paid for their tickets but her uncle didn't back down. The bluenette is grateful for everything the officer has done but feels guilty for being a nuisance. Marinette has been a real burden to those surrounding her since finding out the truth.

   She wants to somehow repay and apologize to the people she's troubled.

   "Will we ever see you again?" Tikki asked Shan. The man pursed his lips in thought before nodding, "Yeah, I'm sure we will."

   The redhead's face brightened, practically glowing with joy. Shan would never admit out loud how adorable the seven-year-old is. He can almost feel her happiness rub onto him. The edge of his lip even twitched up for a millisecond. There's just something about Tikki that makes him a bit more serene.

   A weird feeling, but a nice one all the same.

   Shan looked at the teen, who is being unusually quiet. Even if they have only known each other for a short amount of time, Shan can tell Marinette is an involved person and always strikes for a conversation.

   Yet, she silently sat deep in thought and twiddled with a brochure.

"Are you alright?" Shan awkwardly asked, not the kind of guy who knows how to comfort people. Shan usually leaves it up to the other officers to make sure the victims are okay and safe. It's one of the parts of his job he was never good at but it doesn't mean he can't start trying right now.

Marinette stopped messing with the brochure and looked over at Shan.

"Not...really," she quietly answered, feeling overwhelming the teen, "I'm just worried about what is going to transpire once we get home."

Tikki frowned before leaning her head against the elder girl as a way of comforting her. Shan hummed, unable to find his next words so he just continued to listen.

"They're going to be really mad at me for running away with Tikki to another country, just to find answers. I wouldn't blame them for my choice in risking my and Tikki's safety. For being dumb and not thinking it out before leaping in," Marinette said, regretting the choices she's made, "I'd say the one good thing that came out of this trip...was you, Uncle Shan."

Shan didn't know what this feeling in his heart is. It's like a warm, melty sort of thing he couldn't describe (although, his first thought was butter in a microwave but didn't want that to be the comparison). A gentle touch without any physical contact. Somehow, that small sentiment made Shan want to try and better himself in comforting the bluenette.

"Yeah, they'll be furious with you," Shan agreed, making Marinette wince, "In my line of work, I've dealt with runaway kids. Each one has a different story of why they did it, whether it's from being abused or assaulted. Others are mentally lost, scared and confused. They let their emotions get the best of them."

Marinette still didn't see Shan's point in his speech. It kind of made her feel a little worse, sounding more like an excuse than a reason. Yet, she didn't say anything and let Shan continue.

"Sometimes, it doesn't end well for some people," Shan continued, reflecting on his past, "Most of the time, it's not like that at all. Sure, they'll be furious and you'll probably get punished..."

   Marinette shrunk in her seat, not looking forward to going home and making her feel worse.

   "...but," Shan concluded, "they'll be really happy that you returned home safely."