Chapter Three: Reuniting

[Day One]

Bdubs heard the car pull up, and it shocked his nerves. As if sensing his worry, his father, King Scar, leaned down and kissed his head.

"Don't worry, take a deep breath," he softly told him. He nodded and did as he was told. The prince double-checked his posture as the doors in front of them opened, and they stepped out under the late-morning sun.

-

Shit.

That was all Doc could think as the three royals stepped outside to greet him and his father. His eyes were immediately drawn to the shortest in the middle- Prince Bdubs. He noticed the corners of his mouth were turned up, but it wasn't a smile. Just a polite expression. Doc and his father bowed, though whatever greetings his father and the other kings exchanged were drowned out by the roaring blood in his ears. He echoed his father with a 'thank you' and 'it's an honor', but he was basically on autopilot at this point.

He and his father followed the other three around the castle and to a small patio. The hybrid could only assume the scenery around him was pretty, but his eyes were glued to the prince. From his outfit to his eyes - and geez he's so much taller than Prince Bdubs - something about him just drew him in. But, he never said anything, and neither did the other as they sat at the circular table.

-

As tea and small food were brought out, the kings began to discuss... something. Bdubs didn't know and quite frankly he didn't care at the moment. He knew he should, seeing as one day he'd be king and this stuff is important, and yet he still didn't. He was too focused on staring at the entrance to the magical Wood behind his fathers. Bdubs raised an eyebrow as he lifted his teacup. He knew Keralis and Beef were there, watching him under an invisibility charm. For all he knew, Stress could be there too. And although he could call them out, he honestly liked knowing his friends were there and would see if something goes wrong.

And he was positive something was going to go wrong.

Taking a sip of tea, he glanced over at the prince, who seemed invested in whatever their parents were talking about. Of course, he's interested, he must be a genius. He's definitely going to think I'm a dumbass. Not wanting to sit in silence with his thoughts, he turned to the hybrid.

"So, do you have any hobbies?" he asked, setting down his teacup.

Prince Doc simply shrugged, setting his own cup down. "No, I don't really have time to indulge in hobbies. Besides, I find them a waste of time, I'd much rather be working," he answered in a low and monotone voice.

Bdubs couldn't stop himself from huffing but managed to control and suppress his annoyance. "I'll have to disagree on that one, having a hobby can be productive and they give your mind a break," he carefully countered, taking another sip of tea.

"I suppose," the darker brunette said slowly. "But don't you feel guilty doing something for yourself, when you could be spending that time benefiting others?"

He took a slow breath, the words piercing his heart like a sword. No, don't listen to him, he doesn't know what he's talking about. Bdubs told himself. "You're making me sound selfish," he quietly joked with a scoff.

-

Ah shit. You messed up Doc, congratulations. The tall prince scolded himself. He was just trying to sound smart and cool, but realized too late he was just attacking the other.

"I didn't mean to," he muttered, feeling like a fool. Those words seemed to be taken wrong as well since the shorter brunette just stared at his tea. Is it too late to compliment his clothes? Should I just say sorry?

But when he opened his mouth to say something, King Cub unintentionally cut him off. "Bdubs, why don't you show him the library?" he suggested. Doc looked at the prince, who nodded and stood up. The hybrid almost jumped when his striking brown and green eyes locked with his own. He stood up and the two bowed to the kings before walking away.

Prince Bdubs led him in silence into the castle. He tried to take in and memorize the floor plans as much as he could while they navigated the halls. I should ask for a blueprint. Maybe I can program one into my arm. Suddenly, the freckled brunette stopped in front of two large glass doors and he almost bumped into him. He looked through the doors and got a glimpse of the bookshelves.

"We're here," he said, pushing the doors open.

-

No matter how many times he walked into the room, Bdubs couldn't help but be taken away by the countless aisles of books, not to mention how each of the three floors had walls made of bookshelves. He glanced at the prince, whose face showed nothing, but there was a sparkle of interest in his eye.

"I know you don't like hobbies, but you gotta at least like reading, right?" he asked, looking around at the books. When he turned back to the prince, his excitement was more visible and he began to ramble.

"I actually do like reading, yeah! Anything non-fiction, from biographies to history to just academic texts! Knowledge is such a powerful tool!" He wandered towards a shelf and gently ran his hand across the spines. "Of course I tend to stray away from any fictional story. They feed you illusions about reality and are full of nonsense. Especially the sci-fi and dystopian books. The things those authors come up with are just bizarre," he laughed.

"My favorite book series is a sci-fi series set in a dystopian future," Bdubs admitted with sickly sweet words. He managed to hide his annoyance and anger when the hybrid whipped around to stare at him with wide eyes.

"I-I meant no offense, it's just, you have to admit they're baseless with no realistic value in them," he protested.

"I apologize but I take full offense, as you're insulting my interests directly to my face," he snapped, crossing his arms. "You seem to be missing the point of a fictional novel. Most of them aren't supposed to be realistic, they're made to suck you out of reality. Now you don't have to like them, I'd just appreciate it if you were more respectful."

Hold on, I just told another prince to show respect. Should I be saying that? He wondered. Those thoughts quickly died, as the baffled look on the prince's face made him feel better. Seeing no reason to stand around, he walked away with the purpose to find the next book in his favorite series.

"W-Wait, where are you going?" the hybrid protested.

"To read one of my nonsense books. I was told to show you to the library, not to sit and read with you," he called over his shoulder, giving a small wave. Not caring if Prince Doc would attempt to follow him or not, he quickly found himself in his favorite section on the second floor. He pulled out the next book in the series from the shelf and moved over to one of the cushioned benches in the window. While basking in the warm sunlight, he opened the book and forgot his troubles as he zoned out in the story.

-

Doc had eagerly grabbed a book on the magic forest's history since he knew the other brunette would most likely not tell him anything. While he searched for a place to read, he not-so-subtly looked around for Bdubs, only to spot him reading on the second floor.

He wanted to apologize but was too nervous to interrupt him. So instead he sat at one of the tables on the first floor and read. It was hard for once in his life to focus on what he was reading, as his mind kept drifting.