Chapter Thirteen: Confessions in the Garden

[Day 11]

Prince Doc decided it'd be best to give the other prince space for the day. He was so scared last night, and he just wanted to comfort Bdubs, but he didn't know how.

I can't believe I kissed him. Multiple times on the head! Why did I do that?!

He curled his pointer finger, biting his knuckle as he paced the room. The enchanted porter was busy unpacking his things, so he slipped out and began to wander the halls.

Somehow, the prince had let the morning pass him. Despite not having a proper destination, he found his feet steering him down a familiar path.

"Prince Doc! Just the person I was looking for!" His attention snapped to the voice at the other side of his hallway. King Cub walked up to him with a picnic basket in hand.

"Good afternoon your majesty," he politely greeted.

The king held out the basket. "Here, lunch for you and Bdubs. Take this to the garden, will you?"

He nodded and waited for the king to leave before walking as fast as possible without actually running down the hall. This was the perfect opportunity to speak with him.

-

Bdubs was feeling more than energized and took a deep breath. As he stood in the middle of his garden, he went through the exercises his fathers had taught him that morning to help him conserve his energy.

He hummed to himself as he casted a rain spell over plants that looked like they could use some extra care. Slowly, he stopped moving around, his humming growing quiet until there was no sound. Beyond his control, Doc's face came to mind. More specifically, the affection he gave him last night.

His cheeks prickled with warmth as his heart skipped a beat. I hope I can talk to him sometime today like I said I would. Or, thought. Same thing.

The prince's stomach whined for food and he carefully stepped around different flowers as he made his way out of the garden. When he looked up, his eyes locked with those belonging to the hybrid standing in the entrance.

"Hello," he quietly greeted, the warm feeling in his cheeks growing.

Doc dipped his head in acknowledgment. "Your father sent me with lunch for the two of us," he explained as he held out the basket.

A smile formed on his face as he approached one of the benches. "Shall we?"

The hybrid reciprocated his smile, joining him on the bench.

His heart pounded louder and louder the more they ate. But it wasn't until they finished that he finally worked up the courage to speak.

"Listen, about last night," he began, placing the basket at their feet so he could sit closer.

"Ah, listen, I'm truly sorry if I overstepped any boundaries," Doc quickly apologized. "I was just trying to comfort you and-"

He placed his hand over his, pressing a little. "Doc. It's okay. You didn't overstep any boundaries, I genuinely appreciated the gesture," Bdubs assured him.

Pressing his lips into a thin line, the taller prince laced their fingers together, lightly squeezing his hand. "Bdubs I must confess; I truly like you, not because we're getting married, not because I have to, but because you are, well, you."

"I know you do," he quietly admitted, eyes drifting to their hands.

"Wh- huh?"

"You ah, were never the most subtle about it. And- I think- Doc, I feel the same way." He dared to look at his eyes, finding himself staring at a flushed face and a sparkling gaze.

The shorter prince watched as Prince Doc brought his hand to his lips, kissing the ring on his finger. He grew flustered at the newfound affection, squeezing his hand. More kisses were slowly pressed to the back of his hand.

Bdubs softly smiled, pulling their hands towards him. "You really like the bracelet?" He softly asked. Although he hadn't worn his own very often, he happened to have it on today.

"Of course," he murmured.

Now it was his turn to gently kiss his ring and the back of his hand. Doc pulled his creeper hand free and held his cheek, gently rubbing his thumb on his face. His eyes fluttered shut as he leaned into the touch. He allowed Doc to guide him closer, and his smile grew as kisses were placed all over his face.

"Bdubs," Doc whispered, causing his eyes to open. "Thank you."

"For what?"

"Just... for being here."

Sighing, he kissed his palm. "I'm really happy that it's you that I'm marrying," he quietly confessed.

-

If Doc's heart could stop it probably would've. He pressed his forehead against his fiance's. Bdubs kissed his cheek, putting a hand on his knee as he shuffled even closer on the bench, leg pressed against leg.

Cupping his face, he pressed his lips to his forehead and closed his eyes. It was as if a love spell was placed on his heart. "I'm also happy that I'll be marrying you too," he whispered, looking at him.

And then he pressed a kiss to the corner of the shorter's mouth. When he pulled away, the two just stared at each other. The hybrid wanted to pull him even closer, forget his manners and steal away his breath, kiss him until it hurt, and then kiss him again like common schoolboys.

But they weren't commoners, nor boys.

They were princes.

Bdubs' eyes flickered away, his face somehow becoming even redder. "I- Do you think we should be doing this? That we're allowed to do this?" He quietly asked as if reading his mind, his hands clutching the fabric of Doc's pant leg.

"Who cares?" He blurted out. The prince's eyes snapped back onto him and they widened. "We're going to be married anyway, correct? Besides, what's the worst that will happen? If anything, everyone wants us to- would be happy if they found out."

A giggle slipped out of the freckled brunette's mouth, setting off the butterflies in his stomach. "You want to kiss me that bad, huh?" He teased.

"I do, yeah," he murmured.

Bdubs tenderly held his face with his free hand while Doc's hand slipped down so one could hold the back of his neck and the other could hold his waist.

It was a soft and short kiss, not lasting nearly as long as Doc had hoped. Even though it wasn't as intense as he wanted, it was just as sweet as he dreamed.

When they parted, he allowed himself to follow and steal a second.

-

Although he was surprised, of course, Bdubs wanted a second as well. Something had exploded in his chest, and it was unlike any magic he possessed. It coursed through his veins and threatened to shoot from his fingers like a firework spell.

Moving his hand from his cheek, he sunk his fingers into the hybrid's dark hair and melted against his lips.

When they pulled apart again, they stared at each other in silence. There was so much more he wanted to say, but all words died on Bdubs' tongue. He selfishly wanted to stay there in the garden, forget his responsibilities and not have a care in the world.

But obviously, he couldn't.

Reluctantly, he let go of his betrothed and stood up, offering a hand to Doc. When he pulled him up, he reached up to kiss his cheek. "We should head back inside," he pointed out.

"If we must," the other joked, picking up the basket and following him out of the plaza.