Chapter Twenty-Three: The Bros are Bonding

[Day 26]

"I promise I'll be okay," Prince Bdubs assured his father as he reciprocated King Cub's tight hug.

"I know, but I'll always worry about you," he murmured, holding him for another moment.

When they separated, he kissed his forehead before letting him head down the stairs to join the other prince and his friend. While his fathers bid each other goodbye, he looked between Beef and Doc.

"All set?" Beef asked. The prince couldn't help but feel a bit guilty for not letting one of his closest friends know the truth. As far as Beef was aware, they were returning to Oropolis as a 'breath of fresh air' from the recent events. Alas, he couldn't say anything, so he'd have to stick with faking his cheerfulness.

"I believe so, yes! Shall we?" He accepted Doc's hand which was slightly held out and the three headed towards the car.

-

For the first time in his life, Doc felt uneasy being in Oropolis. From the moment they all stepped out of the car he protectively held Bdubs' hand.

He wasn't going to let anyone hurt him again.

His father called for two Royal Guards who were followed by Etho out the front palace gates. The robots were bigger than his Babysitter Bot but just as friendly to him.

"Welcome!" Etho greeted. Doc let go of Bdubs' hand only to hug his friend. Etho hadn't been informed of the incident with the woods, and as per his father's wishes, reluctantly agreed to keep it that way. He squeezed him, wanting to explain everything.

The two Artise royalty joined them and Doc took the prince's hand again. "How are you feeling your majesty? I know you weren't feeling well during the ball," Etho asked, bowing.

"I'm alright now, thank you," he assured him with a small smile. "So, Xandai. You know the capital well?"

"If by well you mean I have the city blueprints memorized, then yes, I know Xandai very well," he not-so-subtly boasted, the grin hidden by his black mask very audible.

Doc rolled his eyes, though his smile stayed the same. "Lead the way then my good sir."

-

Beef felt five, his eyes permanently wide and darting around to capture every last bright light surrounding him.

It was a nice distraction.

Developing a crush on a friend isn't always a great thing, especially when you know it'll never happen. Beef had spent years so desperately suppressing his feelings, determined to extinguish them, but then a simple hug or squeeze of his hand would send him spiraling.

And not only was he struggling to accept the fact they couldn't be together, Beef had to hear him admit to liking someone else. And a simple commoner, no less.

But when Etho came along, when he talked to him the night of the ball, he made him fall in a way he hadn't before.

Although Etho's flirting in their messages hadn't been the most subtle, Beef made the decision to be oblivious for the time being.

To him, it wouldn't feel right for him to try and pursue something when he still wasn't sure if he was over Prince Bdubs.

Etho touched the back of his hand, grounding him. He was pointing at a building at the end of the street. "We could go there; it's a modern history museum," he explained, glancing back at the two princes walking hand in hand behind them.

Beef noted the warm color blooming in the organic side of Prince Doc's face. "Why don't we visit the art gallery instead? I know we have one in Xandai," the prince suggested.