Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Big Day

[Day 30]

"And there you go," Beef cheerfully noted as he helped Bdubs put his white blazer on. Smoothing the fabric over his shoulders, the two made eye contact through the mirror. "Don't be nervous, you look great," he assured him.

Bdubs smiled as he returned to adjusting his red tie. "Thanks, Beef. I'm not- it's hard not being nervous. I mean, this event- this- wedding is bigger than just us. Well, it's really not even about us."

Creasing his brows, Beef patted his shoulders. "Don't say that, it is about you two," he protested.

"Bdubs isn't wrong," Keralis butted in, joining them to take Bdubs' hand and guide him off the platform he was on. "It's really just a ceremony to officiate the unity of our kingdoms. Combining royal families simply makes the process easier. However! That doesn't mean we can't treat this like a beautiful celebration of love!"

The prince was already well aware of the facts Keralis was echoing to him. It truly did ease him, to know that it was less about him marrying a man he had only known for a month but more about the political alliance. "Well, the parade and the celebration afterward will be fun," he pointed out, cracking a smile.

"That's true!" Beef laughed. "Plus you're getting a vacation, which you both well deserve!"

"Just take a deep breath, and everything will be alright," Keralis assured him. "Now you go to Stress so she can handle your hair." Pulling his friends into a quick hug, Bdubs lightly squeezed them before leaving the room.

-

Taking deep, repetitive breaths, Doc stared himself down in the mirror as he smoothed out the white blazer. "Now don't you dare overthink anything," Etho warned, handing him the final piece of fabric.

"Just relax," xB gently reminded him. "Once you finish your vows, it's all smooth sailing from there."

Prince Doc nodded as he tied his bowtie. As he began making the small adjustments to ensure it was perfect, he finally spoke up. "I... I can do this. I can do my part to ensure the celebration of a historical alliance goes as smoothly as possible."

Lighty laughing, xB patted his back. "Nothing you can't handle!"

"Hey if it helps, you can just treat this as an elaborate excuse to kiss the prince," Etho teased when he finally stepped off the platform.

Despite scoffing, heat quickly rose to his cheeks. "I'm honestly looking forward to tomorrow more than anything. For once in my life, I'm eager to have some time to be expected to do absolutely nothing."

"Who are you and what have you done with the Oropolian Prince?" xB joked whilst he brushed off rebellious pieces of lint.

Doc sat at the vanity. He had already ensured the screws in his arm were tight enough, but he had to inspect his face. The small bot that helped polish his arm wasn't needed for his face either. "How much time do I have?" He asked, carefully tightening a screw near where his cheekbone was supposed to be.

"As much time as you need. Beef messaged me that Bdubs just got to Stress, so you have to wait until he's done," Etho noted.

"Were they racing? If I knew they were racing I would've helped things go faster," xB piped up, causing the other two to laugh.

If he wasn't so focused, Doc would've shook his head. "I'm not sure if he was treating it like a race, but I wasn't."

Out of the corner of his eye, he caught Etho nudging the other noble. "That's because he knew he was going to lose," he stated with a matter-of-fact tone but mischievous eyes.

Rolling his eyes, Doc placed down the screwdriver and began carefully polishing the bionic half of his face.

-

While brushing his hair, Stress softly hummed. "So, are you excited to dance with Cleo at the celebration afterward?" Bdubs teased, causing her to pause her tune.

"Y- well- of- of course, I am. It's- well would it- would it be too much if- what if I asked her on a date? What if she says no?" She began to fret as she started weaving a small braid on one side of his head.

"Stress," he lightly laughed. "You see how she looks at you? She won't say no. Promise."

She went quiet but kept braiding his hair. Once she switched to the other side of his head, Stress finally spoke up again. "So, how're you feeling? Excited?" She prompted.

"And nervous," Bdubs added. "A strong mix of both. I think... I think it'll all go well though."

"That's the right attitude!" She laughed, finishing off the second braid. "Your hair is getting very long, it's nice," Stress commented as she gathered it all to tie back with his infamous red ribbon.

He gave a slight nod, not wanting to move his head too much on her. "I'll probably get it cut soon, I don't know yet."

After adding white flowers into the braids on the side and his crown on top, she patted his shoulders and deemed him ready. "Good luck!"

-

With stiff shoulders and a bouncing knee, Doc once again stared himself down in the mirror. He spotted Stress stifle a giggle as she brushed his hair. "Relax your highness," she urged.

"Right, right of course," he muttered, forcing his shoulders to go slack. He reduced his leg bouncing to just his foot.

The sigh she let out filtered into a slight hum. "It's so tempting to give you the same hairstyle, but I suppose it'd be better to switch things up, don't you think?" She thought out loud.

"You don't have to do anything fancy, it's fine," Doc insisted. Truthfully, he would've simply slicked it back, stuck his crown on, and called it a day. Although since it was a wedding, he wasn't even going to be wearing his usual silver crown.

He and Bdubs had been crafted special, matching crowns. They were thin, delicate things; just a front piece that would nestle in their hair. "Would you mind if I temporarily grew out parts of your hair? It would only last until you take it out," she asked when she put the hairbrush down.

His eyes widened. The prince wondered if he'd even stop being amazed when magic was used on him. "I wouldn't mind at all! Whatever you think would look best."

"Wonderful!" Smiling wide, her fingers danced over his head. Sparkles materialized and rained onto his hair. The moment they touched strands of brown, the pieces would grow. She gathered it to rest a little below the apex of his head, tying it into a tight bun. A chunk of his hair was left out only to be braided and wrapped around the bun. She then added the flowers to the braid, and tuck a few behind his ear. They felt a bit weird, resting against the metal plates of his face. "And for the final touch..." her voice trailed off as she carefully added the crown to his head.

When she asked him what he thought, Doc could only blink as he stared at himself. He was seriously about to get married to someone he arguably fell in love with at first sight. Someone he had only been talking to for a month, bickering for a good part of it.

It was beyond nerve-wracking, yet thrilling.

Even if down the line, Prince Bdubs realized he didn't love Doc anymore, if he realized he never loved him, the hybrid had full confidence he'd always love him.

"I look pretty."