the notebook

song for this chapter: heaven by clairo

cat slowly climbed up the ladder into a small tree house. 

"woah." she said. jade laughed as cat looked around in awe at what was in front of her. there was fairy lights stringed around the ceiling along with posters from various movies and bands hung on the walls. there was a bookshelf on a wall to her left with small un-lit candles and tiny keepsakes. there were blankets and pillows all over the floor, acting as carpet. in addition there was a large pile of more blankets, pillows, and stuffed animals. 

"i go here most nights. its pretty calming." jade told cat before she lit a match and studied it for a few seconds before lighting the scented candles and blowing it out. 

"this is amazing!" cat said before jumping onto the pile of blankets and stuff.

"thanks." jade said smiling, joining her. they locked eyes for a few moments before jades phone dinged. "oh, its a text from beck." 

where are you? why arent you at school??

" what does he want?" cat asked, trying to peer over at her phone before she quickly shut it off. 

"oh nothing," jade got up and grabbed a journal from the bookshelf and handed it to cat, "heres a thing of pictures that ive taken from around here. 

cat shyly took it and slowly flipped through each page, studying each picture carefully before switching to the next. there was pictures of animals, and various plants and flowers. there was some photos of the sky at night, compared to pictures of the sky at day from that same day.

"these are incredible!" cat awed at jades photography skills. as she continued to turn over each page, she found some drawings and paintings that jade had done that were absolutely amazing. 

they kept looking through more and more of jades journals and drawings for hours. as cat flipped over the back cover of the last notebook, she just now noticed that it was already dark out. she had left her phone on silent and she was greeted with a thousand texts from her mom asking where she was. she texted her back, saying that she was sorry she hadnt told her that she was staying over at jades, which was great news to cats mom as she was learning that cat was getting out and hanging out with friends. 

"its getting really dark." cat didnt want to have to walk home in the dark. it was bad enough the first time through the trees, when at least there was daylight, but she couldnt imagine doing it again with only the light from their phones. 

"we can just stay here." jade told her, pulling an extra blanket over herself. 

"are you sure its safe?" cat worried.

"of course! ive slept here probably hundreds of times! its kind of cold, but we have a lot of blankets." she laughed at the absurd amount of blanket she has been collecting since she first discovered the tree house. 

cat tried to drift off to sleep, but a wavering sense of worry hung over her like a old light bulb just waiting to flick off for good. 

"i cant sleep." she told the silence before jade flipped on a lamp next to them. 

"okay," jade sat up a little, "truth or dare?" she asked.

"what?"

"you said you couldnt sleep," jade answered, "so truth or dare?"

"truth." 

they kept talking for what felt like hours until eventually things fell silent again. 

"jade?" cat asked, staring up at the ceiling, "i think i need to tell you something."

jade rolled over and stared at cat, their faces inches apart. 

"what is it?" her voice soft.

"i think i like girls." her voice cracked into a whisper telling jade her thoughts. 

"okay," cat turned back to jade, just to see her staring into her eyes, "me too." 

they were close enough to feel each others breath on their faces. before cat could say anything in response, jade was kissing her.

at first cat was surprised, but its not like she pushed away. she kissed her back. the kiss didnt last for long, and almost immediately after jade turned the light back off and layed back down.

neither of them got any sleep that night.

okay, this chapter kind of sucks, i know. but please dont come for me. i have no friends at this point, and i havent had human interaction in a year so ive lost fresh ideas of what something like this would actually feel like. 

please vote and comment, it means a lot to me!!

emilyXXtpwk:))