Chapter 23 || I Was Told

Wanda POV

"Who the hell is Y/N?"

God...They really did mess her up. 

I approach her slowly, "You are Y/N. And you are our family. Try to remember."

She backs up and grunts, using her powers to blast at my feet, making me jump back. Seeing her like this, so alien and unbeknownst of all of us. I felt my heart pounding in my chest, little cracks forming the longer she stared at me like she wanted to kill me. Everyone seems to be scared of her, but I can't be. I've never been scared of her before and I am not about to start now. I know Y/N, whether or not she knows me, but I know her and I know how she feels alone most of the time and scaring people is her way of reassuring herself that no one will ever truly understand her or trust her. But I do.

I trust her.

"I'm here. You're still you. Please, Y/N."

I step forward with caution, she backs away, eyes narrowed at me in warning, I can see her eyes phase into her dangerous bright blue. I continue walking forward until my hand can take hold of hers. I hear Nat and Steve whisper-yelling at me, warning me but I don't listen.

My fingers wrap around her hand as I pull her closer to me, holding her in my arms.

She hesitates, but I can physically feel her body relaxing in my grip, her breath hitting my neck, just like it did the night I calmed her down from an episode. I take it in, breathe in her scent that I missed so much.

Our bodies slowly part until our faces are mere inches away, eyes focused just on one another's. With a slight tilt to her head and a slow growing smile ghosting at her lips, her hands caress the sides of my face gently.

"Wanda," her voice is soft, and I search her eyes, trying to feel her again. I start to feel Y/N in her head, the one I know. I feel her. But then something switches.

A switch goes off and suddenly I am out of her head and her hands are closing in around my face, a faint popping going off in my head. She's lifting me and I grab at her wrists, her grip tightening so much to the point where I start to fear she's going to crack my jaw off. I grab her hands, trying to rip them off but she's too strong, stronger than she was before she disappeared. I hear crackling in my head, the more I hear it, the more pain I feel.

"And I was told you were powerful."

Her voice is dark and menacing, taunting. Her smile from earlier has curled up into a sick grin, a proud smirk as she continues to squeeze the life out of me. But I can't bring myself to hurt her or fight back. I can't. I scream out, squeezing my eyes shut as I feel myself starting to fade. 

I hear metal slam into something with a sickening crunch and Y/N immediately drops me, collapsing onto the grass with a thud. Her body goes still, lifeless. I gasp for air, rubbing at my 

Nat grabs me, Steve calling for Bruce as she rubs my back, trying to check my injuries.

*        *        *

Once Bruce and Helen have confirmed that I will be okay, they allow me to leave Medbay. My feet carry me to the lab where I find Tony, Nat and Steve arguing.

"It is what is best! We don't know what she is planning, what they did to her exactly. We haven't seen Y/N in months and I'll be damned if they get her back before I get my goddamn sister back again."

"Tony, locking her up won't fix anything! You know how she feels about being locked up." I nod along with Nat, knowing she's right. Y/N hates cells, she hates being locked up. She hates feeling contained. Brainwashed or not. And judging by this argument I can already guess that Y/N is locked up somewhere.

"Romanoff, Tony's got a point, though. That isn't Y/N in there, she's someone else right now. For all we know, Y/N is gone."

"She's not gone."

They look over at me, realizing that I was listening in. Clearly they don't know what I mean so I sigh and make a full entrance into the lab.

"Y/N, she's not gone. I felt her."

"Yeah Little Witch we all saw her and you holding your hands until she tried to squish your head like a little bug."

My eyes narrow into slits while I glare over at Tony, wising in this moment that he wasn't Y/N's brother so that I can blast him to another planet and not feel guilty about it.

Nat notices the tension and breaks it, "Wanda, what do you mean you felt her?"

The feeling, earlier. I felt her again, I felt her warmth, her safety...it was quick, but I could feel how hard she was fighting whatever has taken over her. She had pain filling her, anger, fear. Then I felt her care for me, her worry, her love. That is, until she shifted back into the cold soldier Hydra brainwashed her to be. I can't say all that though, how I felt Y/N's feelings for me pushing through. I can't do that to Natasha.

"I looked into her head, and I saw her. She was fighting it, trying to push through but it still took over. Y/N is in there and she is in pain. She is scared. And you locked her up, leaving her by herself, alone, of which you know she hates the most. You left her alone."

Before anyone can try and reason their way out of guilt, I make my way down to the cell Y/N used to reside in. She's standing up while tapping on the glass. Once her eyes land on me she smiles brightly, "Miss Maximoff! Was wondering when I would get to see you again. Hope I didn't hurt that pretty little face of yours too bad, you just talk so much."

I sigh as I cross my arms over my chest, not wanting to play her little game but seeing her smile, Y/N or her new alter ego, it's still the same smile that gets me every single time.

"I'm sorry they locked you up in here. I know how much you hate being locked up. Small spaces and all."

Her shoulders rise and fall as she walks around the glass cell meant for Bruce when he turns into the Hulk.

"It is unfortunate but you know..." She taps on the glass, feeling its strength, knowing she can't break out of it. Then she cranes her neck over to me with a faulty smirk.

"Home sweet home."