Chapter 29 || The Song

Your POV

"Hey...can we talk?"

Her eyes trace over my body, as if trying to get a read of the conversation before she nods, stepping aside to let me into her room. It's just as I remembered it. Of course, there's a sitcom playing on her television, although this one looks older, in black and white. I think I recognize it, there was this one time when I was at Hydra years ago that they left Pietro and I alone together. That was their first mistake in all honesty. They said we could watch TV and they'd be back. So Pietro put on some sitcom called The Dick Van Dyke Show.

It was a silly show, but admirable. Pietro clearly loved it. I remember how his eyes lit up at it, repeating the dialogue every now and then.

"Why do you keep doing that?"

He glances at me, smiling still plastered on his face. He looks like a little kid, as if Christmas has just come or something. I have never seen him this giddy before.

"What, repeating the wordings? It helps me learn English. Mama and Papa would have TV nights every week, only rule was to practice our English. Wanda's favorite was The Dick Van Dyke Show. It was the last thing we watched before they died. Season two episode twenty-one. She was a sucker for the sitcoms. It used to annoy me but now, it helps me understand her. You would like her, you know."

The dumb smile on my face is a dead giveaway that I am lost in my thoughts. She comes over to me and raises an eyebrow in questioning, "everything alright?"

Her eyes follow my gaze at her television, to which she breathes out a nostalgic sigh. Her feet hover in front of the screen, fingers gently placed on it while she chokes back obvious tears but manages to smile anyways.

"The Dick Van Dyke Show...I'm watching my favorite episode-" "Season two, episode twenty-one. Right?"

She freezes in place, head snapping over to me before she realizes how I know the information, face breaking out into a grin while she drops her hands to her sides, making her way over to me, gesturing for me to join her at the edge of her bed.

"I take it you've heard about this show from someone before."

"I would say that is an accurate statement. We watched it together, he would repeat the dialogue. Said it was your rule for family TV night, for you to practice your English."

Wanda pulls her lips inwards while her eyes cast up towards mine, alternating between the two with a slow nod. I can't place my finger on what she is thinking right now, nor do I want to read her mind and make it unfair. But the look she is giving seems to be somewhat...appreciative and swirling with this adoration that makes my skin buzz and heart thump against my chest.

"It's amazing how much you know about me, even from before you knew about me. Even the littlest things like my favorite sitcom episode."

A corner of my mouth twitches upwards, shrugging nonchalantly. I don't see the big deal. I spent a lot of time with Pietro, I know a lot about Wanda, and I keep learning more. I don't want to forget any details about her, no matter how small. Everything about her is something I want to know.

The air grows thick and I struggle to find a way to break the awkwardness, neither of us knowing what to say. I know I am going to have to talk to her about what I need to, but I don't know how to initiate it. How do you initiate pouring your heart out to someone?

"You asked if we could talk? What's on your mind moya lyubov?"

The fuck did she just say? Whatever it was, it sounded damn good rolling off her tongue like that.