dainsleif ➶ lifetime

LIFETIME

was there a lifetime waiting for us
in a world where i was yours?

was there a lifetime waiting for us in a world where i was yours?

it has been approximately 100 years since he last saw you.

dainsleif had been waiting for 100 years just to watch you grow up and fall in love with other people again and again.

you were his blessing and curse, his heartbreak and only love.

cursed with immortality, dainsleif was bound to live restlessly whilst watching his people become monsters. he had shame in his heart, and sadness in his soul. the only thing that brought him happiness, was you.

ever since his eyes layed upon you, something in his heart let loose. it was an unfamiliar feeling, but he liked it. it made him feel like he was on heaven on earth.

his heart was yours completely.

from the day you first talked, day you first kissed, day you first claimed eachother, he was yours.

unfortunately for him, he overlooked a small detail. while you were mortal, fated to one day meet your end, dainsleif was not. he would have to watch you die, walk the forsaken earth without you. it broke his heart to realize yet he continued on living.

dainsleif watched you grow older and weaker each day. yet to his eyes you were still as bewitching as the day you met. still the person he fell in love with and will continue to fall for.

on your death bed, he held your hand gently while you coughed. old age brought you poor health, and finally you reached your final days.

"dain... why do you still love me when i look like this?" you asked weakly. he laughed softly, shocked to see that even in your lowest, you cared about petty things.

"my love, why wouldn't i? you're perfect and nothing less than that." dainsleif replied.

"then.. what do you love about me? i never quite understood what you saw in me."

"well... your smile was the very first thing i noticed. it felt like a warm embrace, something i simply couldn't forget. i never believed in love at first sight but you were the closest feeling to it. i love how you make everything seem beautiful even when they're broken to the point of no return. the way you say things to me, it makes me want to know everything you have to say about the little things and big things. i just love how it feels when you're beside me."

"honestly i could go on forever. because i could watch you for a single minute, and find a thousand things i love about you." he finished.

with a tear running down your eye, and a small grin plastered on your face, you held his hand tighter.

"you have to let go of me, dain." you whispered, feeling guilt lump in your throat. ironic, wasn't it?

if only he fell for someone who was immortal like him, he wouldn't have to walk the earth alone again.

"no. i will look for you no matter what. i will choose you in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, i will find you and choose you. " dainsleif kissed your knuckle softly, giving you all the love he had to give.

soon your body shut down, you took your final breath holding dainsleif's hand. the man's heart sunk to the bottom of his stomach. tears welled up in his eyes as he kissed your hand while still gripping onto it.

that was your first death, the first in the next 450 years.

you reincarnated 5 more times.

the second time you got reincarnated, dansleif kept his promise. he looked for you restlessly, searching every corner of teyvat to even feel your presence. once he did he spent the rest of what you had with you. endless days of bliss as he found his soulmate once again.

of course the same heartache of death haunted him.

it was your second reincarnation that hurt the most.

it was the life where you chose someone else.

instead of dainsleif finding you on time, he instead found you happily married. happily in love with someone else. he was too late.

your smile was no different from when you used to smile at him. your eyes looked at your lover with so much love, dansleif could still vaguely remember how it felt. every time you laughed, no matter how much you hated it, dansleif thought it was music.

now you laughed for someone else, looked at someone else, loved someone else.

it pained him to know that.

and so he walked the earth restlessly once more, watching over you from afar. he wanted to make sure you were safe even if you were no longer his.

"i will let you go, y/n. just like you wanted. i don't want to keep you from the world." he thought, seeing the unbelievable amount of love you held for your lover.

you looked so happy, so complete. and even if it wasn't him making you smile this way, he was grateful you were still as joyful as he remembered.

he watched you die for the third time, feeling the tingling sensation of pain once again. he sighed, looking up at the starry sky above him.

"just how many times will i have to see you leave this earth.. only to return?"

he watched over you as you grew up again, seeing you grow from a naive kid to a confident adult. you were always the same in every life, just better than the last. you were blessed to have a beautiful soul that it blossomed in each life you lived.

every life he watched he wondered, "was there a lifetime waiting for us in a world where i was yours?"

and here he was in the present day.

it has been approximately 100 years since he last saw you.

it has been the longest time he had ever waited. his heart grew lonely without anything to watch over, without anything to love.

"were you waiting for me?" a voice called to him.

"y/n..." he whispered out, looking behind him quickly.

for now you didn't have a human form, just your spirit. you still remembered everything from your past lives. you could never forgive dainsleif for giving up so easily, but your soul missed him so much that you couldn't help but visit him before you reincarnated once more.

"you bastard, i thought you'd find me and choose me." you cried.

"i.. i don't have much time so if you want to say something, say it now."

dainsleif just looked at you with hurt in his eyes. for years he longed to feel your presence again, to see the love in your eyes looking at him again. he missed you so dearly that it hurt him. even if he wanted to let his love for you go, he knew he couldn't.

"dain, i don't have time, please say someth-"

"i missed you so much. so much, y/n it physically hurts to think of you." he said

"but this time i will find you. i swear this time i will. we've said goodbye before, we'll say hello again." dainsleif said, getting closer to you.

he tried touching your ghost but failed to do so. you teared up, wishing to engulf him in an embrace where you never had to let go.

you yearned for each other's touch and yet here you were.

dainsleif promised you one last thing before you disappeared;

"i will look for you in every lifetime until we finally stay."

(help this is so cringe)