heizou ➶︎ rivals

It's easy to hate someone who
constantly wins against you.

Case after case, you never seem to win against the incredible Shikanoin Heizou. He always finds the clues before you even get to analyze — and he always catches a culprit before you even finish gathering your data.

What made it worse was that he liked to brag.

He loved to shove it in your face that he accomplished so much more than you.

It irritated you so much that it became your life's purpose to beat him.

Sure, detective work was your passion — but it became second in line when it came to your need of dethroning the auburn-haired man. 

Heizou wouldn't back down either.

He likes the way your face contorts in annoyance whenever he's a step ahead of you. Or how you glare at him when he flaunts his success.

It drives him to do better than you in everything he did, in everything he investigated.

You hated him for always beating you.
He hated you for trying to beat him.

No one tries to challenge someone who'd already marked themselves as the best. The sheer nerve to even try became a chip on his shoulder.

Rivals. That's what you'd call it.

"Say, Y/N. If you solve this case faster than me, I'll let you take a jab at me." Heizou grins, waving a blue file in front of your face. "I know you want to."

Heizou doesn't like feeling pain, but knowing that you'd never beat him? Well, he has nothing to worry about—

"Oh, that? I've already solved it." You say nonchalantly, looking back down at your notebook.

Heizou's brows furrowed, making him close your notebook shut. You gasped, feeling offended by his actions. He placed the case file beside him carefully.

"...What?" was all that came out of his usually talkative and horrendously witty mouth.

"You heard right, Shikanoin Heizou. I beat you. Now, go away." You stood up from your chair, gathering your belongings. You moved to the couch in your office, settling there as Heizou paced around the room.

"That's impossible. Besides, if you really did beat me, you'd be way more excited." He points out.

"Mm, yeah. It just wasn't exciting as I thought."

"Wh— Y/N, you just beat the best detective in Inazuma. Man alive, you have got to be happier than this!"

You rolled your eyes, examining your nails.

"Why does it bother you so much that I'm not enthusiastic about it? It really doesn't matt- Gah!"
You yelped as Heizou invaded your personal space.

The fellow detective pinned you down to the small couch, his analytical gaze trying to search for an answer. Were you lying? You had to be!

His green eyes pierced through yours, making you sink into the soft furniture nervously.

"Did you really solve this case before me?" He asks in a low tone, trying to appear intimidating. You nodded truthfully, making him sigh.

"And do you really not feel anything at all?"

You gulped. The tension in the room and the fact that your rival was quite literally on top of you— You wanted nothing more but to evaporate.

"I— I mean," You stuttered. "I... don't."

Heizou closed his eyes for a brief moment, taking in your words.

He couldn't understand why he felt upset.

Was it the fact you finally beat him at something? No, it wasn't. He would genuinely be delighted if you did, though he'd be a little annoyed. Maybe it was because you felt nothing at all when you finally reached your goal. Especially when your goal was to win against him. It bruised his ego quite a bit.

"I solved the case with Sango's help. That's why I don't feel anything. If I solved it by myself... then yes, I would have been ecstatic." You confessed, looking away from his gaze.

"Oh."

Aha! He knew you'd never beat him. He is the best detective in Teyvat after all! ...Yet somehow he was more relieved knowing that you would have felt something if you'd done it yourself. That you would have felt some sort of thrill if you beat him.

Something for him.
No! No, wait that wasn't what he meant—

"Well, I guess I had nothing to worry about then!" He smiles cheekily, freeing you from his hold. You finally breathed, not being able to previously in such a situation.

"Why were you so concerned in the first place?!" You interrogated, letting out an exasperated sigh.

"Don't tell me you've fallen for your rival, Shikanoin Heizou?"

Heizou froze in his tracks. He could practically feel your smug smirk burning the back of his head.

"Oh gods, you have, haven't you?" You teased even further.

"Absolutely not! I... I just like the challenge! Yeah. I like having someone attempting to beat me when they can't. It's... thrilling! But no way do I like you!"

He struggled to word his explanation properly, prompting you to laugh. You couldn't help it! He looked so helpless at this very moment — so different from the usually smug Shikanoin Heizou.

"Okay, okay! I get it." You raised your hand in defense. "Just rivals, gotcha."

You sighed, standing up from your couch and heading to the door. Might as well meet with your clients instead of spending time with your competitor.

You held the doorknob, twisting it slowly.

Then suddenly, a hand placed itself on top of yours. Your brows furrowed as you turned to look at Heizou. The fellow detective looked concerned — as if something was right at the tip of his tongue.

"Look," He started, grabbing your shoulders to make you face him. "I... I don't know what this feeling is, exactly."

"You're like this puzzle that I can't seem to solve. You're this game that I can't wrap my head around."

He pulls you closer.

"I'm going insane here, Y/N. I can't stand the fact I'm falling for the case I can't crack." He confesses.

You wanted nothing more but to gasp dramatically — to have your eyes widen and your jaw drop. It was shocking, truly. Your rival... liking you? You were just teasing earier but... Oh, gods.

"Say something, why don't you?" Heizou pleads.

"...I'll accept your confession the day I beat you."

Heizou smirks, raising a brow.

"You annoy me with the way you always win. So I'll consider when that annoyance is gone!" You explain, crossing your arms. Heizou was a cutie, you wouldn't mind being with him at all... if he wasn't your rival.

"I define won't lose to you, but I do look forward to seeing your first win."

"And I look forward to beating you."

"Then, perhaps we could have dinner after? To... celebrate your victory, of course."

You couldn't help but smile at his advances.

"Alright."

:0 OMG I WROTE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T ANGST! i lowkey collapsed writing some of the scenes ehe ehe ehe..... gosh i cannot write fluff without exploding LOL TT