diluc ➶ happier

HAPPIER

the burden of one-sided love.

[i chose violence with this one comrades!inspired by olivia rodrigo's happier~]

inspired by olivia rodrigo's happier~]

waves hitting the shore was an ambient sound you enjoyed. somehow the chaos of it all flew over your head and it soothed your aching heart.

you chuckled, wanting to release the tight feeling in your chest. feeling the tears well up in your eyes, you wiped them off quickly.

breakups were always a painful thing to go through, unless the feeling was mutual.

for you and diluc, it was one-sided.

"y/n... let's break up." he said, his words piercing through your heart like knives.

"excuse me?"

"i..i don't feel happy in this relationship anymore." 

you turned to face the man you loved, not believing what you were hearing. 2 years.... did it mean nothing to him?

"you have to be joking....right?" your feet moved on their own as they took a step closer.

"....right?" your hands cupped diluc's face, almost pleading that he would take back what he said. you were denying what you heard, played deaf to save your own heart.

"let's break up." diluc repeated, gripping your hands gently.

tears welled up in your eyes as you tried hiding your frustration.

"but why? d-did i do something wrong? what is it? i-i can fix it!" you asked frantically, trying to look for a solution.

maybe then you'd be able to fix the problem and get him back.

instead diluc stayed silent and avoided your gaze, shattering your heart even more. were you that unbearable that he couldn't even face you?

"fine.... i hope you find someone you won't get bored of." you stated, walking out the dawn winery.

the maids greeted you but you swiftly avoided them, not wanting to draw attention to your tear-stained cheeks.

a month passed.

a single month passed.

you had finally plucked up the courage to go out. it had been quite a while since you went out alone. after all, it's always been you and diluc.

the pavement rhythmically followed your steps, creating a sound at each one you made.

the sun was shining bright, and the wind was as cool as ever. the perfect weather.

'today is a good day to go shopping...'  you thought.

all was well until you saw the familiar head of red. it caught your eye instantly, after all the hue was unparalleled.

diluc was talking to another woman, seemed like she really liked the him too.

"for you." you heard his voice faintly. the woman blushed, taking the bouquet from diluc.

soon you realized, maybe then sun wasn't out for you. maybe this beautiful weather wasn't a set up for your story, but for diluc's new love story.

a love story with the girl from the flower shop.

donna.

another person who brings out the best in diluc. she looked sweet and kind. she was pretty too, beautiful even.

so he moved on, huh. he finally forgot about me...

before you knew it, jealousy seeped through your veins. seeing them sheepishly flirt was sickening, but maybe it was just your bitterness talking.

you walked off, not wanting to be seen.

racing thoughts drove through your brain as a migraine bubbled up in your head. overthinking was a curse, yet you had to live with it.

you couldn't decipher whether you were angry or upset, and frankly it made you feel worse.

here you were again.

the beach which was once a romantic location.

you remembered the dates, specifically the picnics by the ocean. it wasn't the best idea but it was fun to create sandcastles with the person you loved.

it was funny how the sandcastles would disintegrate with a single push of the waves.

maybe that's how love was.

one simple mistake and everything crumbles.

you hated feeling this way. you wanted him to move on, to be happy. why yearn for something that was already dead?

"god, is he gonna tell her he loves her? that they're gonna be together forever? bullshit! he told me the same thing and still left me!" you yelled into the ocean.

"what's so special about her anyways? w-what did she have that i didn't?" your words were quieter as the heartache became unbearable.

you sat down on the sand, feeling the rough surface embrace you.

you never wanted to be bitter.
you never wanted to pick apart his new lover.
you never wanted to be selfish.

but you longed for him to be happy, just not happier.

waves hitting the shore was an ambient sound you and diluc once enjoyed, except now it was just your aching heart that carried the burden of one-sided love.

[hello comrades! this is my shortest one-shot so i'm sorry about that. i've been trying to write a scaramouche one but my brain hasn't been working.

i'm so sorry for the inactivity, i haven't been feeling the best mentally but i'm trying to get back up on my feet!! thank you for the support <33]