bennett ➶ illusion

ILLUSION

everything was just an illusion.

"so y/n, where to next?"

bennett excitedly asked. the strong spirited adventurer had been your friend for quite sometime. his bad luck wasn't a big deal to you, nothing to make a fuss about.

in fact he made your adventures more lively, especially with his energetic personality.

you had just cleared out a hilichurl camp and planned to take out another one.

"there's one last one in.. dadaupa gorge. let's get going before it gets dark!" you replied.

bennett nodded with a big grin before holding your hand and running off.

you felt your cheeks warm up from the sudden contact. you figured it was just bennett's pyro vision rubbing off on you.

you arrived at the hilichurl camp cand cleared it out as well. you took out your bow and proceeded to shoot the long ranged hilichurls.

you climbed their little post towers while bennett dealt with hilichurls on the ground.

once all of the hilichurls were defeated, you proceeded to scout the area from the watch tower.

"huh... oh bennett! there's a treasure chest over there!" you stated, piquing the boy's interest.

"let's go- oh wait, you need to get down first." bennett said, realizing how high up you actually were.

"coming right- oh.. this is quite unstable huh.."

the watch tower was shaky, probably becoming weaker from all the rucus earlier.

"hehe, don't worry. jump down and i'll catch you!"

you looked at the ground and then at bennett. it doesn't sound like a bad plan... after all you trusted bennett.

"hm.. okay then! you better catch me or else!"

you proceeded to crawl to the edge, putting your foot on the ledge.

"here it goe- woah!" you couldn't finish your sentence as the watch tower tipped down. you lost your balance and fell on top of bennett.

your faces were so close to eachother, your lips nothing but a brush away.

bennett's faced flushed red while you nervously got off of him.

"i'm sorry!" you both said at the same time.

bennett turned away from you in embarrassment. it wasn't everyday he had you that close to him.

"le-let's get that treasure..." you stated, pointing north. bennett gave you a 'mhm' and walked off quickly.

——————————— ★༄

after a long day of adventuring, you and bennett head back to mondstadt.

"i'm really hungry, what about you y/n?" he asked.

"i'm fine.. could use a quick snack though. let's head to good hunter!" you stated.

you arrived at the city, waving at the familiar faces.

you took a seat at one of the tables and patiently waited for bennett to arrive.

once he did, you both happily enjoyed the meal.

during this, you could see people staring at bennett weirdly as he talked to you.

"why are so many people staring?" you asked.

"they must know about my bad luck. luckily, my adventures have been going smoothly recently. must be because i have you around!"

you gave bennett a small smile before continuing the rest of your meal.

"bennett!" an adventurer called, you forgot his name but you were sure he was close with your friend.

"oh hey royce! is there something you need?"

"some of the older guild members are looking for you." he informed, making bennett sigh.

"sorry i had to cut this adventure short. i'd love to go adventuring with you again!" bennett said with a happiness written all over his face.

"you too ben, let's do this again sometimes."

——————————— ★༄

bennett walked towards the guild member, feeling accomplished for the day.

"bennett... you need to let y/n go." royce said, concern laced in his voice.

"huh? what do you mean?"

"you can't keep denying that they're dead. you have to accept the truth. it's sad to see you like this."

"what do you mean? they're right there-" bennett looked back at the table he sat.

but you weren't there.

you were his first friend. when you died, all bennett could do was blame himself. he wished you weren't affiliated with him, maybe then his bad luck wouldn't have spread to you.

in the end, everything was just an illusion.