Chapter 2: Arkham

Quaint little Arkham's streets were busy, with markets and tourists roaming around. Amelia Watson passed by the old-fashioned buildings that reminded her of a time long past. Some of her cases had required her to make discreet leaps through space-time to find some clues, and locales like this were no stranger to her. Her research into this town granted her fascinating findings that inclined her to believe that the peaceful town to be anything but normal. Stories of disappearances, blood rituals, sacrifices, this place had enough unusual occurrences to fill a book. From the outset the townspeople were friendly towards the detective as she asked for directions, but the knowledge she held left a lingering paranoia in Amelia's mind, not enough to scare her away but enough to keep her on edge as she navigated the branching streets of Arkham. A massive building loomed in the distance where Amelia was standing.

An open gate stood before her with the name "Miskatonic University" read above it.

Strolling inside, Amelia saw students walking around the campus, eating lunch at the sprawling lawn in front of the entrance, and reading books under tall trees. She walked inside, making her way to the library. Amelia knew the university specialized in supernatural studies and had a gut feeling that she would find information that could give her a lead to locate another deity like Yog-Sothoth. Inside the silent library, an elderly librarian sat at the lobby.

"Good afternoon, can I help you?" the librarian asked.

"Hi, I'm a detective from the IDO," Amelia pulled out her magnifying glass and showed it to the man.

The old man focused on the glass, seeing the special IDO engraving on the handle.

"A member of the International Detective Organization? How surprising, what brings you to Miskatonic University, miss?"

"I'm on a case right now and I need to look through some of your archives. Could I take a look?"

"A investigation, huh? Follow me."

The old man stood up from his chair, his back hunched as the two made their way through the door behind the lobby. Walking down a long hallway with paint peeling off the sides, Amelia found herself in the back room, where a bunch of filing cabinets and boxes could be found. The air was musty, lacking any sort of ventilation.

"As you know, there must be no documentation of anything you read down here, but you are free to read everything. Are you finding something in particular, dear?"

"Do you have any records relating to cults around the area?"

The librarian stroked his white beard. "Those archives can be found over at the back corner of the room."

"Got it. Thank you, sir."

"You're welcome. Put everything back when you're done, please."

"I will."

The door closed shut behind the librarian, leaving Amelia to rummage through the many boxes to find some answers. As she rifled through the various boxes, she recalled the last time she went to the library. A detective of the Watson family had to be equipped to deal with any problem that had the potential of happening. Amelia, knowing she was no different, was inclined to adopt new skills, prompting her to learn new things at the library. A few hours of digging through and reading journals, newspapers, and accounts, Amelia found a story that piqued her interest.

A man had investigated the town of Innsmouth just north of Arkham after the government had vacated it a few months prior. He detailed rumors of strange occurrences and disappearances in the town. He wrote about the dilapidated state of the town and its inhabitants' distaste for outsiders. The journal remained unfinished, but it was all the evidence Amelia needed to investigate for herself. She left the library, bidding the old librarian farewell.