Chapter 6: R'leyh

Mori Calliope flew through the dark, rainy skies of the Pacific. The lightning crackling in the clouds above and the rumbling thunder that accompanied it matched the intensity of the roar of the ancient dragon she rode on as she passed rising waves crashing down beneath her. Mori squinted, the pouring rain falling on her face and obscuring her vision. It felt like hours since she departed Arkham after she confronted that manager. The dragon paid no mind to the downpour and kept moving forward without hesitation. The storm began to gradually fade as the dragon advanced, until only a few wisps of cloud remained. The sky hung above the reaper dotted with thousands of stars, her pale skin shining in the moonlight. Mori wiped her eyes and caught a glimpse of a towering building in the distance. The dragon began its descent, circling around the structure. The island was comprised of smaller, jagged rock formations that grew taller as they reached the center, a great tower that reminded the reaper of an ancient temple she went to once. An old, stone staircase began at the foot of the island, leading to the tower. Mori commanded the dragon to land near the tower, hopping off once the beast touched the floor with its hands. The reaper pet the dragon's snout, feeling its black, scaly skin. The beast stared at her with its piercing, purple eyes.

"If it weren't for you I would've never found this place. Thank you for getting me here," she smiled at the dragon.

The dragon nodded in understanding and with a flap of its wings, it lifted off the ground, flying away into the distance. Scanning the area around her, the reaper found nothing but sea stretching for miles. The island looked untouched, no sign of any human exploration for at least a century.

"So I got here before them, huh?" she muttered to herself.

Mori started to make her ascent up the thousands of stairs leading to the tower. On her way up, she abruptly stopped. She looked from side to side, feeling a tremendous presence watching her. She shook her head, continuing up the stairs. Mori arrived at the top of the stairs, at the threshold inside the darkness beyond. Next to the entrance were two torches hanging on opposite sides. Taking one of them from its rusted sconce, she held it close to her. She breathed out, a small flame coming out of her mouth, setting the torch ablaze. Mori held the torch up and continued forward. A flight of descending stairs led deeper into the tower. Going further, the stairs plateaued into a short hallway leading to a set of double doors. The feeling of being watched amplified as she pushed them open. Inside laid a massive, spacious area. The musty, heavy air did little to ease her nerves. Her heels clapped against the stone path, echoing. Pillars were lined up on both sides of the path, with unknown symbols engraved into them. She stopped dead in her tracks as she reached a throne too big for any human.

Mori raised her torch.

Her eyes widened.

A colossal form sat upon the great throne. Mori first noticed its large feet. Looking up, an arm with a clawed, webbed hand clenched the armrest. It had a bulbous head, with tentacles sprouting out of it, reminding Mori of an octopus, except a thousand times larger. Retracted wings sat on its back and the reaper wondered how long they would be if spread. The being's head rested in its hand, its eyes closed in deep slumber. The being dwarfed the reaper as it sat in peaceful sleep. The beast slowly opened its eyelids, revealing nothing but bright red behind them. Mori refused to move, keeping calm even though it could strike at any moment. The being studied the reaper for a few silent minutes.

"How unexpected. It seems a visitor has arrived in my temple. You seem troubled, I sense it," it spoke in a deep voice.

"What are you?"

"I am Cthulhu, the Great Dreamer. Why have you come here and interrupted my slumber?"

"I'm looking for someone."