Chapter 20: Descent, Part 2

Kiara watched the battlefield from aboard the Crimson, the swiveling blades of the helicopter drowning out the sounds of the clash down on the ground. Though her head was pulsating at the sight of the creature, she steeled her resolve. The Dark Mother unleashed an enraged howl, denied its meal which was escaping its grasp. Turning its attention to the Crimson, it shot forward a tentacle, trying to destroy the nuisance. Emma maneuvered the helicopter to the side, avoiding the attack and ready to retaliate.

"Launch the missiles!" she commanded.

A barrage of explosives shot out from the two missile launchers on both sides of the Crimson. They soared through the air, driving themselves into the monster's head. The manager pressed down on the left and right triggers of the steering wheel, firing the chain gun under the helicopter, showering the Dark mother in armor-piercing bullets. A few of the shots struck her head, but she quickly raised a tentacle to shield herself.

"Look out, tentacles on both sides!" Gura yelled.

Emma moved the Crimson upwards as the appendages closed in to crush them. Before she continued the counterattack, more rockets struck the monster's side, diverting its attention. Marine's fleet arrived to aid them, her crew unloading their missile launchers and mini-guns. Kiara watched as a circle of blue energy formed at the crow's nest, turning into a concentrated beam surging towards the beast. It struck the Dark Mother square in the face, creating a small but visible crack on its skull. It unhinged its jaw, growling as the onslaught continued.

Emma swerved away, creating some distance between the two opposing forces so that she could get a clean shot on the monster. Kiara only noticed the brief flash of green in the Dark Mother's empty sockets before a green laser shot out, zooming towards the armada. However, before it could hit, it struck an invisible barrier that shined a dark red on impact. A sharp piece of building debris rose from the ground, levitating with its edge pointed straight at the monster. In the blink of an eye it was launched forward, driving itself into the creature's mass of flesh. The Dark Mother screamed, pulling it out with a tentacle and flinging it to the side, crashing against the barrier and falling to the ground with a violent shake.

"Emma, go towards us, you're not safe there!" Marine shouted.

The demon nodded, beginning to make her way to the fleet. The Dark Mother would not let them go easily, and used a tentacle to reach for them before they could escape. Kiara and Gura watched as Haachama's arms fused together behind her back. With their combined strength, the chaos god sent her arm out. The pheonix's jaw dropped, the limb revealing itself as gigantic. A blade extended from the end of the hand, and with a shout it sliced down from the incoming hand. She retracted her arm, panting. The severed tentacle fell to the floor, crushing the Dark Young and the armored warriors underneath it. Black blood sprayed from the Dark Mother, but the appendage swiftly regenerated. Before it could attempt to strike down the Crimson once more, it saw that the helicopter was already out of its range.

"What the hell was that?" Kiara heard Fubuki ask on the radio, sounding less than pleased.

Emma lowered her face.

Haachama cracked a grin. "Is that who I think it is?"

The demon turned to the chaos god with a glare. "Shut up."

"Heads up!" Gura shouted.

The Dark Mother fired another beam at the four, but before it could hit, the invisible barrier blocked its path once again. Kiara felt her head throb once more, and when she looked outside the helicopter, she was met with the sight she never would have suspected. Haachama and Emma noticed as well, their eyes full of surprise and horror respectively.