Chapter 17: Unlikely Alliance

Jenna drew her blades, pointing one at the masked man. He remained unfazed, looking more bored than intimidated. He repositioned himself, his elbows resting on the table. He folded his hands together, leaning forward. The silence between the two opposing parties only heightened the tension. Though the masked man's emotions could not be traced, Mori knew the man was studying them. She knew he could have ambushed them at the first chance and the fact that he elected not to  take the opportunity was the only proof the reaper needed to know that the man had a plan. His posture suggested careful calculation and commanded control, something the operatives would never yield to him. Jenna remained calm, but despite their numbers she felt a profound dread tugging at her. Perhaps the dim lights and the red aura emanating from the masked man put her off kilter, but it did not stop her from keeping the knife pointed at their mysterious foe.

"Have a seat," the man began, not making a single move.

The operatives refused to comply. The only thought in Jenna and J-chad's mind was how to go about detaining the man.

He sighed, impatient. "If you think I'm here to kill you all, then relax. I just want to talk."

The angel scoffed. "Talk? Why the hell would we want to talk with you?"

"Because I know you and your team are in a desperate situation."

"Where the hell did you get that idea?" J-chad's eyes narrowed.

"Look around you. The Church of the Dark Mother are enacting the final rite of passage in the summoning ritual. Soon, this entire city will be reduced to rubble, and all of you with it."

"We'll find a way to stop them," Mori retorted.

"Oh really? Do you have a plan? Without one, you're all as good as dead."

"You came for a reason, didn't you? Spit it out," Jenna demanded.

"I can see it in all of your eyes, the fear," the masked man began, "You all fear what the Church will summon to this plane of existence. You all desire answers for the mystery of this ritual. I am here to give you that."

The angel raised a brow, slightly lowering her weapon. "What do you mean?"

"I want to propose a temporary alliance."

The operatives were taken aback. Mori looked to the others, who were just as confused as she was at his statement. The two managers could not believe their ears, their enemy wanted to work together. The reaper turned to Jenna and J-chad, both looking like they had the same thought as she did. Mori knew there was something more to this.

"Why the hell would we do that?" Jenna asked.

"We both have a common enemy."

"What reason would you have to fight the Church?"

"It's simple really. This world cannot be destroyed by the Church's god."

"Because?"

"It is to be destroyed by my master and he alone," the masked man flatly explained.

"So that's it, huh?" Coco interjected. "You want to save the world for Nyarlathotep to take, is that it?"

Mori noticed Jenna and J-chad wincing at the name. Twice she saw the name evoke a reaction, and her interest was becoming piqued.

"Exactly. I know you all are at a loss and have no idea what to do next."

"What's the catch?" J-chad asked. "You seem like the kind of person that wouldn't help someone without a goal in mind."

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend," the masked man recited. "Like I said, we both share the same enemy. I see this as an opportunity to get rid of the opposition. You should see this as a way to save countless innocent lives."