Chapter 10: Night of the Hunter

"So before we start, wanna explain to me what happened that day?" Jenna asked, leaning against the wall of her rival's cubicle.

Emma spun around in her rolling chair to face her. "The boss didn't tell you?"

"Nope, he didn't even mention it. I only learned a little when I was talking with Aqua earlier."

"That's weird, he usually notifies new employees when these types of things happen. Maybe he thought he would scare you off by telling you about it."

Jenna shrugged. "Must've been something really bad if he wanted to hide it, but I would've joined up either way. So what's the scoop?"

"Let me start off from the beginning..."

-

Emma oversaw operations in the secret facility, watching as the scientists worked with the peculiar mask. The manager sighed, dreading the thought of keeping watch for another day. She downed her third cup of coffee, wondering what to do to pass the time. Mid-yawn, Emma noticed the lights beginning to flicker, on and off. She turned to the head researcher, who assured her it was probably electromagnetic interference from the mask, as it was discovered it could do so the day before. Though the light turned back on, the brief interruption from the monotony caused Emma to be alert. She could see the mask slowly glowing brighter from the corner of her eye. Though nothing had happened so far, Emma felt her heart beat faster. An uneasy feeling swept her. The ground shook violently beneath her feet for less than a second. Emma sighed, this was certainly not helping ease her nerves.

"It was probably nothing," the head researcher assured her coworkers, interrupted by the sudden shake.

Unconvinced, the manager stepped out of the room. She found a security guard sitting at a desk nearby, watching monitors connected to a live surveillance camera feed. She leaned down, taking a look at them.

"How's it looking out there?" she asked.

"Everything looks fine."

"Any idea what could've caused that shaking earlier."

"None, nothing came by the cameras when it hap-"

One of the many screens in front of her cut to static, interrupting the guard. Three more went offline. She caught a glimpse of something dark flash across the screen before the feed disconnected. A person cloaked in darkness passed through the monitors as they shut down. Emma's heart pounded and she gulped.

She turned away. "I'm going to start evac."

"Wait." the guard spoke, fear dripping from the word.

Emma looked back at the monitors. Only one remained online. The person walked towards the camera, stopping in front of it. They lifted their head to the screen. The manager's blood ran cold, seeing the familiar pattern of the mask on the person's face. Her breathing slowed, as both of them stayed silent for what felt like an hour.

"Where's that camera?" Emma asked, in a hushed tone.

"R-right outside."

Before she could even begin to process it, the person's mask flashed green and she was blasted back by a powerful force. Her back slammed against the metal door leading back into the laboratory. Emma head spun, loud ringing piercing her ears. She could see the security guard nearby, unconscious. The room was plunged into darkness, only the red emergency lights illuminating the room. She could hear the alarms beeping as the ringing faded. She stumbled up, her hand at the hilt of her katana. Breathing heavily, she drew her blade. Fire danced where the blast door leading out. The shadowy figure emerged from the flames, stepping into the narrow hallway.