Chapter 3: Innsmouth

The late night of Arkham brought a peace the bartender of Tiller's Tavern savored. Cleaning up after the patrons' messes and sweeping the floors was therapeutic for her. Thunder rumbled around her as she wiped the tables with a wet rag. She wondered about the two ladies who took that carriage to Innsmouth. Though she knew they both had business in the ancient town, she could not understand why they would still go with its reputation and the rumors circling about. She shook her head, knowing it was none of her business. She already warned them enough, all she could do was hope they took the advice. Her ears were alerted to the ringing of the bell above the entrance.

"Sorry, we're closed."

She heard the heavy footsteps of boots tapping against the floor. A woman stepped into view under the dim glow of the candlelight. The first thing the bartender noticed was her long, light pink hair running down her back, the scarlet eyes that looked back at the bartender, and her pale skin that could be seen even in the darkness. She wore a coat and a dress, both as black as the night. Despite the peculiar appearance of the woman, the bartender stood unfazed. The only thing that concerned her was the long scythe resting behind her back, it's blade shining in the light of the ember of the candle.

"Didn't you read the sign?" the bartender asked.

"I need information," the woman said.

"Information, huh?"

"A woman by the name of Amelia Watson came by your place earlier. Am I right?"

"The detective? You know her?"

"Do you know where I can find her?"

"Sorry, but my customer's business ain't my business."

The woman sighed and approached the bartender. When they were close to each other, the bartender realized how tall the red-eyed woman was compared to her. She could feel the air chill in the room.

"I guess I have no choice," the woman said, staring into the eyes of the bartender.

The bartender's vision began to blur in and out and she felt sluggish, dropping her broom and taking a seat on one of the stools. When her vision returned to normal, she looked up at the woman with an empty stare.

"Now will you answer my questions?"

"Yes," the bartender gave a slow nod.

"Very well," the pink-haired woman crossed her arms under her chest. "Tell me everything that happened when Amelia Watson showed up."

-

Mr. Clark turned to Amelia. "W-who's your friend?"

"She's-"

"Amelia Watson," the detective interrupted, "I have some questions to ask."

The man turned to Emma, who nodded. "Well then have a seat, this might take a while to explain." He took another sip of his drink, downing it in one gulp and slamming the glass on the table. "This might be of some use to your investigation, detective."

"Go ahead," Amelia took out her notepad and pen.

"It all started when I arrived in town after the Corporation sent me here. The first thing I could remember was that god-awful stench that you could smell anywhere. Sometimes it got so bad I almost passed out. The locals didn't mind, though. The few locals I was able to talk to said it was the smell of home. I stayed in this shabby cabin that looked like it would collapse if a feather landed on it."

"And how long did you stay there for?" Amelia asked, writing.

"About three to four months, nothing more than that."