Chapter 15: Infiltration

A woman, luggage in hand, stood atop an observation deck in Narita Airport. Her dark brown hair tied in a ponytail blew in the daytime breeze, along with her long, black cape and the lanyard around her neck with an ID card attached. On the card was the Cover Corp. logo with the name "J" on it. The sunlight reflected off of the woman's sleek, dark shades. Spotting the black dome of tentacles in the distance, she knew this was the real deal. She pulled out her phone from her burgundy pants and dialed the number of her employers.

"It's me. I just arrived at Tokyo. If there's any way you could reach Jenna or Emma, tell them J-chad's coming."

-

Green light illuminated Kaworu's hospital room. Looking out the window, Mori stared up at the moon, which seemed to get closer and closer everyday. Harder to ignore, the reaper watched as the surface of massive object convulse ever so slightly. Mori felt her breath catch in her throat, the same feeling of dread creeping up her back. She looked away, back to the boy, sleeping peacefully in bed.

"You alright, Calli?" Kiara sat next to her, noticing the change in the reaper's expression.

"It's nothing," Mori shook her head. "It's just...the moon."

The phoenix peered up at the floating mass. "You too, huh?"

"What?"

"It's been moving, right?"

"So I'm not crazy," the reaper chuckled. "That's a relief."

"I didn't want to tell anyone about it. I'm glad I'm not the only one."

"It's been getting closer."

"Right?" Kiara nodded.

"Not only that, I get a bad feeling whenever I look at it."

The phoenix gripped her knees. "Ever since that thing's been up there, I've noticed that something is wrong. I don't know how to describe it, like there's something out of place everywhere we go."

"The same feeling you get from that girl you're looking for?"

Kiara shook her head.

"No. It's something completely different."

Mori watched as the phoenix placed a hand against her forehead, unmistakeable discomfort in her face.

"Are you alright, Takanashi-san?" the two heard Kaworu say.

Kiara snapped up, dismissing the feeling as if she never experienced it. A soft smile spread across her face as she assured Kaworu nothing was out of the ordinary. Concern was painted on the boy's face. He looked up at the moon outside the window, attracted by its luminescence. Fixed on it, Mori could see the boy shiver. Having enough of it, she reached over and jerked the curtains shut.

Realizing what happened, the boy shook his head, coming back to his senses. "Sorry, I don't know what just came over me."

The reaper waved her hand dismissively. "It's alright, Kaworu-kun."

"What are you two doing here so early?" the boy asked, yawning.

"To visit, of course."

He smiled. "Well, it's nice to see you two again. It's still dark out, huh?"

Mori nodded, with grim expression.

The boy looked worried. "When will it be day again? It feels like it's been nighttime forever."

"Don't worry," Kiara assured, "once we defeat the bad guys, everything will go back to normal."

"Right," the reaper agreed, her lips spreading into a soft smile. "We'll save the city in no time."