Chapter 13: Moon

Traveling through the city in one of the corporation's cars, Mori looked out into the streets to see people scrambling across. As they passed through Shibuya Crossing, the large screens on the sides of the surrounding buildings displayed the news, where the prime minister called a state of emergency in the nation. A green moon hung high in the sky and to the reaper, it looked like a bad omen for things to come. Jenna's phone rang, receiving a call from Fubuki. The mage notified the manager that the operatives inside the dome covered each ward.

"Anything unusual?"

"The dome's still blocking access to the outside, but other than that, nothing out of the ordinary is happening."

"Where are you now?"

"We're right next to the dome in Ikebukuro."

"Any luck getting it open?"

"We tried my strongest fire magic and Okayu's laser beam, it didn't budge. Koro-chan's beating it with her fists right now."

"And how's that going for her?"

The three could hear violent slams and loud, annoyed grunts from the speaker.

"Take a guess," Fubuki chuckled. "How's it going on your end?"

"It's chaos on the streets, but luckily traffic's been on the lighter side. We're meeting with Kiryu soon."

"Kiryu-san, huh? Haven't seen her in a while, give Kaichou my regards. We'll keep trying to break the barrier here. The sooner we begin evac procedures, the less potential casualties."

"Agreed. Talk to you later."

"Good luck on figuring out what's going on."

Jenna sped down the street. She turned on the radio, a news report playing on the station. The Japanese Self-Defense Forces were mobilized, helicopters circling the dome and military camps erected around its perimeter.

"So the military's already responded..." Kiara commented.

"I'm not surprised, the entire world's watching. I just hope they don't make any brash decisions."

Mori crossed her arms. "This could end badly. Worst case scenario, they launch an attack on the dome or they destroy the city."

"I doubt that it'll come to that. I have a good feeling our boss is already talking with world governments. Pretty soon, we'll have backup on the way."

"What makes you say that?" the reaper asked.

"Because a lot of our operatives are trapped in this dome," Jenna replied. "He wouldn't even have a second thought about making sure we all came out of this alive."

"You put a lot of faith in him, huh?"

The manager smiled. "He'd send us all to hell and back just to rescue one of us. That's just the type of person he is. I'm sure he'll send more operatives down to help us."

"I hope you're right about that. So where're we headed?"

"To a restaurant to meet Coco Kiryu. My friend already notified her that we'll be coming."

"What kind of person is she?" Mori asked.

"I haven't met her myself, but from talking to the other girls, I know she's one bold, crude, fun-loving person."

"What's her relation to the mafia?"

"She's a high-ranking member, near the top. She's got a massive influence over the criminal network and has connections to other big businesses and corporations."