Chapter 8: Into the Deep

"So we finally meet, Amelia Watson. That was quite a show you made out there."

Studying Mori, Amelia watched as the hole in her head closed up, sealing the wound like it was never there.

"Hope the fall didn't hurt too much," Amelia shot back.

The woman chuckled. "Did you really think a reaper would go down that easy? I've been through way worse."

"How did you get past my men?" Marine asked, watching the reaper like a hawk.

Mori brushed off some dust from her shoulder. "They put up a good fight for a bunch of pushovers. Don't worry, I didn't kill them, just gave them a little thrashing till they learned to stay down."

The captain gritted her teeth, balling her hand into a tight fist.

"Anyways, back to business."

"My friend told me about you." Amelia said.

"Oh, the office girl."

"You're lucky she got out alive. What the hell do you want from me?"

Mori raised her scythe, pointing the blade towards the detective. "You're coming with me to the underworld."

"And why's that?"

"You owe the Grim Reaper a soul. Cheating death doesn't really go down well from where I'm from. Your little time-travel stunt back in the future won't be ignored. You played fate and you're gonna pay for it."

"So you're here to bring me there to die, huh? Don't you know what we're trying to do here?"

"I don't care if you're here to save the world. Destiny will take its course whether you like it or not. I'll see to it myself that the Grim Reaper has his soul."

"So saving humanity don't matter to you?"

"It's not my job to save mortals. I'm here to make sure order is maintained between the living and the dead. If people are going to die, then it is what it is. Fate is absolute, after all."

"That's where we disagree. I'm not going with you. I have a responsibility to take care of."

Mori shook her head. "That's unfortunate. I was hoping you'd cooperate, but knowing who you are I'm not surprised in the slightest. Well, I guess I have no choice."

The reaper advanced, her scythe ready to attack. Gura summoned her trident, but her shakiness made it clear to Amelia that she was nervous. Marine drew her sword, Amelia feeling that the fury in the captain's eyes could shake even the strongest of enemies. Mori approached, stopping a few feet away, prepared to charge at them at any moment. The detective swiftly pulled out her revolver, firing three shots at the reaper. As her finger pulled the trigger, Mori rushed forward dodging the first two bullets. The last bullet did make its mark, piercing her shoulder. The three scattered as the reaper slashed her scythe, striking at no one. Mori, now in the middle, looked towards her enemies.

"I thought you wanted me alive," Amelia said, quickly reloading her gun.

"The old man didn't say I had to bring you back in one piece."

Without warning, Marine rushed the reaper, her cutlass ready to slice down. Mori, quick to react, blocked the blade with her scythe's handle. The two struggled to gain the upper hand.

"You've really been one pain in the ass!" Marine shouted as she tried to bring the sword all the way down.

"I could say the same about you and your crew...sure as hell not happy that my job's harder because of you..." Mori snarled.