Chapter 11: Friend or Foe?

Mori Calliope woke up in a cold sweat. She sat up in the bed she found herself in. She squinted her eyes at the light seeping in from the cracks in between the white curtains. Her eyelids felt unbelievably groggy and she struggled to keep them open. Sitting on the side of the bed, she noticed she was not wearing her usual clothes, instead wearing a black tank top and shorts. Realizing that she had no clue where she was, she stood up and exited the bedroom. The scent of something cooking permeated in the air as she opened the door to a hallway. Mori reached the end of the hallway, wiping her drooping eyes. Looking around the room, she spotted a girl standing in  the kitchen. She hummed to herself, cooking some eggs on the stove. As if she noticed the reaper's presence, she turned to Mori as she observed her from the hall.

"Well, look who finally got out of bed," the girl greeted Mori with a smile.

"Who are you?"

"Why don't you take a seat and eat some breakfast, then we'll talk."

"I want answers."

"And I want you to have breakfast. I told you, we'll talk once you've got something to eat."

Mori sighed, unwilling to argue after she just woke up. She pulled a seat at the small dining table and the girl came out with two plates topped with steaming food.

"Eggs and bacon?" Mori asked.

"A breakfast classic, right?" the girl remarked, carrying more bowls filled with rice and miso soup.

Staring at the selection of the food before her, Mori picked up her chopsticks.

"...Itadakimasu..." the reaper muttered, her face slightly red, making the girl sitting across from her grin.

After taking a few bites, Mori set her chopsticks and bowl of rice down. "So now can you tell me who you are?"

"I'm Takanashi Kiara. Nice to meet you."

"Mori Calliope."

Seeing Kiara's face, she began to remember what happened that night. The details were foggy when she woke up, but now that she had something to eat and was awake, they slowly return to her consciousness.

"Wait a minute, you're the girl who rescued me!"

Kiara nodded. "That's right. I'm surprised you even knew that, I thought you were passed out the entire time."

"You flew in from the sky," Mori recalled. "Are you human?"

"Well...mostly."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Kiara produced an ember above her index finger, the flame swaying from side to side. "I have superpowers."

"Pyrokinesis, huh?" Mori watched the flame as Kiara played with its intensity. "How long have you had these powers?"

"I've had them for my entire life."

The reaper's gaze shifted to the necklace Kiara wore around her neck. At its center was a vibrant magenta jewel, its glow reflecting into Mori's eyes. Her eyes widened, seeing the black bird emblem on its surface.

"You're...you're a phoenix," Mori uttered.

Kiara nodded. "You know about them?"

"Well, I'm a reaper, of course I know about those who can never die."

"Have you met my ancestors?"

Mori shook her head. "I've only heard stories from my master a long time ago. You must be a new host, he never mentioned anything about a girl being a phoenix."