Chapter 9: Technoblade Never Dies

As the Avengers moved throughout the world, through forests and deserts, they couldn't get that village out of their heads. That night, they slept in the trees, out of fear of the monsters lurking below. Thankfully, the spiders and skeletons didn't bother them as the next day arrived swiftly.

They continued on their way, not speaking a word. All were lost in their own brains as the next village came into view. Natasha pointed it out, but her step faltered. This village had suffered the same fate as the last.

Bruce managed to hold back his vomit this time, numbed by the scene they had previously left. Everyone stalked into the bloody scene before them, and the same mess greeting them as the other village had. Only this time, no survivors were present.

The smell wasn't as bad, so the group could tell this massacre was more recent. The thought of getting closer to the serial killer sent chills down their spines; it sent goosebumps up their arms.

They arrived in the middle of the day, but decided to set up camp anyway. Picking a relatively spotless house, Nat, Clint, and Bruce pitched makeshift beds, drawing sheets and blankets from the ones in the village that weren't quite as bloodstained as the rest.

Steve took to burying the residents once again, dragging them into a pile and starting the process of digging. Tony decided to search the village for anything useful, such as tools, food, and valuables. Steve rebuked him for stealing, but Tony said the village was dead, so they wouldn't mind if he took things to help him and his friends out. Steve looked horrified, but let it be.

As Tony was rifling through what seemed to be the blacksmith's chest, his eyes widened. In his hand was one of the largest, most vibrant blue diamonds he had ever seen. He also found an apple made of solid gold. Along with those, he discovered a beautiful iron sword and an iron chest plate that was perfect for protection. He slipped it over his head, noting how it's weight rested snugly on his shoulders.

He strut up to his comrades, displaying his newfound riches. They were shocked at the size of the diamond, but confused as to why someone would make an apple out of solid gold.

Bruce said Tony should try to take a bite out of it. Tony thought that was ridiculous. It was solid gold, after all. It would break his teeth.

The darkness came, and then it went. The five set out once again, but just before they did, they spotted a trail of brown. Tony thought it was shit, but Nat informed him that it was dried blood.

They followed the trail for as long as they could, but it fizzled out at the edge of another forest, just beyond the village. Losing the trail frustrated Clint, but Nat told her friend that it meant they were on the right track, despite how gruesome it seemed.

Once again, the Avengers resumed their journey northeast. They were all exhausted, smelly, and littered with scratches and bruises. Their feet ached from walking way more than usual, and they were covered in blisters. Their shoulders pained them from carrying those heavy backpacks filled with their survival supplies. Their minds cried out for the dead.

The forest they were in was massive, spreading across hundreds of acres. Extremely tall trees reached for the sky, and the air was scented with pine. Moss and podzol blanketed the forest floor, squishing beneath their weary feet. It was a nice break from the rough ground of that beyond the taiga.

To the Avenger's surprise, a wolf pack lounged in front of them, ignoring the human's presence. They froze, questioning the hostility of these magnificent creatures. Feeling confident, Clint went up to the nearest, a pup, and held his hand out for it to sniff. The pup began yapping energetically, to which the rest of the wolves joined in. The wolves were strangely domesticated. Clint wanted to keep one as a pet, but Steve said that they shouldn't take it from its natural habitat.