Chapter 20: Doomsday

The time was two o'clock.

The Avengers stood on the Prime Path, overlooking the beautiful country of L'Manburg. It was funny, really. To think, their mission started as an exploration, and ended in them fighting in an involuntary war. The people they'd met and the experiences they'd had really opened their eyes to how awful the world was. Sure, they'd fought in wars before, but they had never had to fight a war alongside an entire nation of experienced killers.

Steve heaved a sigh. They had learned a lot about swordsmanship from Quackity, and it was desperately needed, seeing as all the tech they depended on had disappeared. But that didn't make any of this easier.

Nat placed a hand on his shoulder, which startled him. She turned him so he was looking her dead in the eyes.

"We're going to be okay," she said. "We'll fight this war, then we'll find a way home."

Steve nodded, though Nat wasn't satisfied. She pulled him in for a hug, but by the way she held him, she needed it more than he did.

Tommy and Tubbo came up beside them, their expressions grim. They had just come from the bench. The two boys plopped down in the grass, ignoring the Avengers. Tommy sighed, but it sounded more like a growl.

"What is with that stupid obsidian grid?" he demanded worriedly. "That wasn't there before."

Now that it was said, the Avengers noticed the massive grid that shadowed the country overhead. It was strange, and definitely couldn't mean anything good.

"It's okay to be scared," Tubbo murmured, placing a hand on his friend's shoulder.

"I'm not scared," Tommy scoffed. "I'm a big man, and big men don't get scared. I'm nervous. There's a difference."

"You aren't a big man if you have to say that you're a big man," Tony pointed out.

Tommy flipped him off. Tony raised an eyebrow, but said nothing. The poor kid had a lot on his shoulders, and he didn't need to add to that stress.

Suddenly, Tommy perked up.

"What the hell?" he muttered, staring intently at something in the distance.

The barking reached the Avengers before they saw anything. A hoard of wolves were swarming L'Manburg, darting behind and in front of a figure with pink hair. Tommy glanced around frantically, searching for something. He finally swiveled on the Avengers.

"Do any of you have the time?" he interrogated, fear laced in his voice.

The time was half past two.

"Oh no," the boy tugged at his hair. "No no no no NO!"

"What's the matter?" Clint asked.

Pointing at the figure, Tommy angrily shouted, "Open your eyes, dipshit! Technoblade came early!"

:-:-:-:-:

"You're supposed to be here at three!!" Tommy cried as they reached the bottom of the hill. There were so many dogs; it felt like wading through water.

"You think I'd pass up an opportunity like this?" Technoblade asked, violence in his eyes. Lunging at Tommy, he shouted, "Hound Army! ATTACK!!"